black-out Packard Clipper of 1942

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.

black-out Packard Clipper of 1942

Postby Joop » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:56 am

Hello,

attached you will find a picture of the 1941 Packard Clipper, made some time ago by Brooklin Models.
I want to convert this model into a 1942 black-out Packard.

Can som-one give me some more information on how to proceed ?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards. J.Gisbers, The Netherlands.
Attachments
Packard Clipper 1941 (Brooklin).jpg
Joop

Re: black-out Packard Clipper of 1942

Postby John Harley » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Joop

There are a few pictures of blackout Packards in the Kimes book. From my understanding there was no set pattern to this, they were improvising and painted the time to "harmonize" with the color. So,maybe a cream color would work with a maroon car.

Clippers were also used as staff cars in WWII by the US Army. In that case, the entire car was olive drab

Regards

John Harley
John Harley

Postby Dave Czirr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 am

It's not apparent whether you're looking for civilian or military blackout schemes and there were no doubt several variations of each, but perhaps this will be helpful. This picture is alleged to be Gen. MacArthur's staff car.
Attachments
MacArthurs 42.jpg
Dave Czirr

Postby Leeedy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:53 pm

For the record, General MacArthur probably never had a Packard all during WWII. His cars (one for him, one for his wife) were Cadillacs and had license plates that were numbered USA 1 and USA 2 respectively. Mac LIKED Cadillacs. And historian and fellow SAH member Darwin Lumley and I many years ago went to check on the ship the supposed "MacArthur Packard" was said to have been brought back to the USA we discovered that this ship was in fact sunk off of Luzon many years before it was supposed to arrive in the States! While there were several military WWII Packards done up in what military people refer to as "O.D." (olive drab), it is highly doubtful that any of them belonged to General MacArthur.

Frankly, the best place to find war-restricted paint and chrome treatments for 1942 is in UA War Board and military specs for these vehicles. There are organizations that serve such collectors and through these one can can locate the proper publications that show precise requirements and treatments.
Leeedy

Return to Ask The Man Who Owns One