1953 Derham Patrician Custom Formal Sedan

No commercial advertisers, please.

1953 Derham Patrician Custom Formal Sedan

Postby sghirsig » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:22 pm

I have a family car which is a model number 2653 Packard Limited Edition that I am trying to decide whether or not to restore. I have all original paperwork on vehicle. It has 56,000 miles. This classic was in great condition until 1982, at that point it was put in storage in Buffalo where it sat and gained a lot of rust. I am debating on restoring it as I know it will be a huge project which I am not sure I can afford at this time. My question is to the club is if anyone can tell me the desire level for this car? Any idea the cost of restoration? I wonder if I restore it if I will be able to get my money back on this large of an investment. Please advise, any help would be appreciated. I would love to see this car look the way it did in 1982 again, the last time it was on the road, but not sure I can take on such a big project financially. Attached are pics of car now and one from before. Thank you for your help.
Attachments
0730001.JPG
now
0760001_1.JPG
now
0780001.JPG
now
0870001.JPG
before
sghirsig

Re: 1953 Derham Patrician Custom Formal Sedan

Postby JD in KC » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Wow. This is a rare car. There were only 25 built and I only see 2 listed in the PAC Membership Directory. The NADA value for this car is listed at $9,400 for low retail, $20,500 for average retail and $48,300 for high retail. Their definition of low retail:

"This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration."

In the best of times these estimates are merely guidelines and these aren't the best of times (financially).

I think you may have to spend more than $9,400 to bring it up to the low retail definition. From the three pictures provided, I am assuming that you need a complete new interior (if done right with the right materials, this is wildly expensive), extensive metal work or replacement body parts, re-chroming (really, really expensive for that massive grill). What I don't know is what the other side of the car looks like, whether the engine turns or not, whether the floors are solid or gone, the condition of the metal top under that covering, the transmission status, or if the car has electric-hydraulic windows (another very expensive item to restore if required). The condition of the interior plastic items, glass, dashboard instruments, etc. will also have a significant impact on the bottom line. New tires will be required and a complete brake job is a must before you move the car on public streets.

I seriously doubt you would ever get your investment back even starting out with an enviable purchase price of $0.00. I've put more into my '50 Custom than I will ever get back but that's not why I have Packards. I have them to drive and enjoy.

On the other hand, If you are equipped to do most of the work yourself and are inclined to do so I'd take a shot. If you need to have all the work done, then you are going to need some seriously deep pockets.

Maybe someone with more major restoration experience than I have will be able to paint a brighter picture for you. I hope so.
JD in KC

Re: 1953 Derham Patrician Custom Formal Sedan

Postby sghirsig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:00 am

Unfortunately I was afraid of that answer. I know the interior would have to be almost all redone. The engine is not cracked, but the springs are going through the front floorboards so thats going to be another challenge. No hydraulic windows. The frame under the top of car is very solid so thats good. The engine on car looks great and I think we can get it mechanically running, but there are still so many other issues. I'm kind of overwhelmed and frustrated. I attached a few more pics. Do clubs ever buy these cars to fix up at all?
Attachments
0820001.JPG
0750001.JPG
0770001.JPG
sghirsig

Return to Wanted & For Sale