Packard 110th Anniversary, Warren OH

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.

Re: Packard 110th Anniversary, Warren OH

Postby Dave Czirr » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Another photo from Warren courtesy of Mr. Ole Book, and one from my archives. The hearse is a 1937 Twelve art-carved by Miller. And again is the 17 Pierce/37 Packard 12 formerly owned by Mrs. John Gordon of Norwalk Ct, and later in the Petit Jean museum (in TN as I recall), now owned by a Texas lawyer. The older photo is the same car photographed at Petit Jean back in 1970 by this writer. Given such a severely formal car, hard to think that an owner/restorer could have picked worse colors, though perhaps pink or chartreuse would have been poorer choices. This same car appeared in Life Magazine back in 1953 at the Presidential Inauguration; I'm reluctant to post that photo as it is likely copyright-protected, but send me a PM if you want a link.
Attachments
Warren 09 6.jpg
37 12 Petit Jean 1970 full.jpg
Dave Czirr

Postby 58L8134 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Dave

Thought about going, didn't decide to until it was too late....looking at the pictures........aaaaggghhhhh!
Shoulda! Shoulda! Should! :cry:

For the next Opus, I'd like to suggest a Packard Custom Salon, recreate a version of the custom-body salons with custom-bodied Packards only.

Steve
58L8134

Postby Dave Czirr » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 am

......aaaaggghhhhh! Shoulda! Shoulda! Should! :cry:

I know exactly how you feel! Those were nearly my precise sentiments when I procrastinated and missed the Pierce Arrow centennial in Buffalo. But at least I hope you were at Warren in 1999. Nothing will ever even come close to that!

PS Steve, after reading your following response. Yes, I did make the Franklin Centennial in Syracuse and saw my first (were there 3 of them?) Franklin V12s. I think your Opus theme idea is a good one, suggest you forward that suggestion to the powers that be.
Dave Czirr

Postby 58L8134 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Dave

Yes, I attended the Centennial in '99, the whole week. What a the once-in-a-lifetime event, I think of it often, look at my pictures, seems almost like a dream now.

Not to rub in your anguish, but I attended the Pierce-Arrow Centennial show day in '01, being only 60 miles from home. It was just like the Packard Centennial, like an automotive Brigadoon.

And one more: the Franklin Centennial in '02, held in downtown Syracuse. More Franklins than one will ever see again in the same place.

Did not make it to the Cadillac Centennial at Detriot, understand it was a blockbuster as well.

What do you think of the idea for a Packard Custom Salon as the next Opus theme :?:

Steve
58L8134

Postby 58L8134 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 am

Hi Dave

Glad you made it to the Franklin Centennial, I think there were three of the V-12's there. It was such a great event, dozens of unique and special cars. No surprise to me that a fellow interested in Packards also appreciates the worthy contemporaries.

On the idea of a next Opus theme to be a Packard Custom Salon, who are the powers that be I should suggest it to? I'll gladly suggest it, hope it finds a positive response. I'm not a big wheel in the club so my idea may not have much traction. Just the same, I hope they'll consider it.

Steve
58L8134

Postby Dave Czirr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 am

Steve, sent you a PM with my recommendations.
Dave Czirr

Previous

Return to Shows, Events & Judging