Need 1937 Packard Super Eight Differential Parts

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.

Need 1937 Packard Super Eight Differential Parts

Postby PackardV16 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

My 1937 Packard Super Eight is having work done to it at a restoration shop, and they found substantial play/wear in the differential spider gears, spider "cross", thrust washers, side gears, etc. Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts new or used in good condition?

I appreciate any suggestions. NOTE: We have checked the normal channels (Kanter, Merritt, etc.).
PackardV16

Re: Need 1937 Packard Super Eight Differential Parts

Postby jvanostran » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:29 am

I was wondering if you ever found your parts that you needed for your differential. I am also looking for new thrust washers and can't seem to come up with any. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Jim
37 Super Eight 1500
jvanostran

Postby jvanostran » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:14 pm

My differential in my 37 Super Eight makes a clunk noise when starting from a dead stop. My mechanic has opened up the differential and it appears to need new thrust washers. Does anyone have any idea where I could find replacements?

On an additional note now that the differential is open we found that the gears are stamped Packard 3.37. I was under the impression that gearing in the Super Eight 1500 was more in the 4+ ratio range. Was 3.37 an option for the 37 or does this indicate that someone along the line has changed out the gearing? I was very surprised to find gears this low. My first gear seems almost like a creeper gear and I can easily handle less than 20 mph in 3rd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
37 Super Eight Touring Sedan 1500
jvanostran

Postby Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

According to the Packard data I have, the rear axle ratios available for a 1937 Super 8 were 4.9/1, 4.36/1 and 4.69/1. If you don't have a standard rear axle ratio I'd guess you have an aftermarket high speed gearset which was probably marked "Packard" by the maker to differentiate it from sets he made for Lincoln and other cars. That's really a high (numerically low) ratio, I have heard of 3.58 and 4.06 ratios as modern available high speed gearsets, I wasn't aware one that high was even made.

Anyone else got any info or idea on this one?
Dave Czirr

Postby Ozstatman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Before settling on 3.37:1 as the ratio I'd do a count of gear teeth on both the crown wheel and pinion gears. That way, with some simple arithmetic, you can work out the actual ratio and you'll know for sure. Numbers stamped on gears could mean anything or nothing. My other thought is that the 3 could be a lightly stamped 8 which, if there are 37 and 8 teeth respectively, would work out at 4.63:1 but that I doubt. A count, easy enough with everything apart, will nail it.
Mal
'41 120 Coupe
Epping NSW Australia
Ozstatman

Postby flackmaster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Actually, ring and pinions are dated, such that the 3.37 markings are as simple as that...made March of 1937. the gears are also stamped with numerical data, and a part number.
flackmaster

Postby jvanostran » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:13 am

Does anybody know where I can get shims for the rear end of my Super Eight?

Jim
jvanostran

Postby Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:32 am

Rear axle end play (wheel bearing) shims? Thrust washers? Do you have the part numbers for what you need?

Shims for rear axle end play are probably around but easy enough to make from some shim stock with a good pair of hefty scissors and a hole punch. What sources have you tried thus far?
Dave Czirr

Postby jvanostran » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 am

There is play in the differential. When I first start from a dead stop there is a clunk in the rear end. My mechanic has taken the top of my differential off and I have seen the gap in the gears which is causing the clunk. There is what looks like a brass thing showing just the edge in the middle. We touched it and it pushed back into the center almost out of sight. What ever that is we believe that is what needs replaced. At one point he called it a thrust washer at another he called it a shim. Maybe my description has helped you figure out what it really is. He is now attempting to take it apart but is having real trouble getting the rear brake drums off. Any advise on that too would help.

Thanks for all you do for the forum

Jim
jvanostran

Postby Dave Czirr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:11 am

Jim, if you go to the discussion group on brakes you'll find quite a few posts on removing rear brake drums. You will need a drum puller like the one pictures - DO NOT use a jaw puller on the edges of the drum or your'll break it for sure. And don't forget to leave the axle nut on loosely so when the drum comes off it won't cause any injury. Here's a link to one of several threads on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37

Perhaps we should wait until your mechanic gets the rear axle apart and avoid speculating what parts might be needed. The parts listings have some good illustrations for identifying the parts by number - perhaps you should consider purchasing one? Here's a picture of a senior Packard rear axle probably similar to yours - can you identify what you are looking for?

PS - better yet, enclosing a page from the 1937 Super Eight shop manual, another reprint readily available which you might wish to purchase. Hope this is useful in identifying what you need.
Attachments
Angleset internals.jpg
37 Super Eight rear axle.jpg
Dave Czirr

Next

Return to Engine, Driveline, Suspension & Steering