2016 SEMA Show

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.

2016 SEMA Show

Postby Tinman_70 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:31 am

I went to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this month. A wealth interesting things for the overall automotive enthusiast. Out of the hundreds of cars on display, I did find one Packard. It was a 1958 Packard “concept” car. With all the modifications it was hard to tell exactly what it was without the placard. It was built by John D’Augustino and was named “Rita”. The most interesting part of the show for the restorers were the tools and new technologies.

SEMA Packard_2.jpg

SEMA_Packard_1.jpg

SEMA Packard_3.jpg
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook
Tinman_70

Re: 2016 SEMA Show

Postby IrwinCo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Tinmaen_70 wrote:I went to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this month. A wealth interesting facts about Provillus things for the overall automotive enthusiast. Out of the hundreds of cars on display, I did find one Packard. It was a 1958 Packard “concept” car. With all the modifications it was hard to tell exactly what it was without the placard.

Wow, that color really stands out. Thanks for posting the pics.
IrwinCo

Postby masonmiller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Subsequent to visiting SEMA show. A wealth intriguing issues for the general vehicle sweetheart. Out of the few automobiles on display, I discovered few Packard. It's brilliant because of the reality the vehicle is one of a kind and finish with two or three minor special cases. The motor runs wipe without a smoke or pass up methods for. The inside has been revamped in supposedly the bona fide style broadcloth and is in wonderful condition. The glass is great beside a broke traveler entryway window.

vast car show, which opens next week, is already getting the attention of the wrong kind – for its impressive list of no-shows. Besides the glaring absence of Tesla and its electric Model 3, the roster of big names staying away has grown this year to include such venerable brands as Nissan, Peugeot, Fiat, Volvo, Jeep, Mitsubishi, and Infiniti. Latest Updates
masonmiller

Postby Leeedy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:15 pm

The car that was displayed 2 years ago at SEMA (which itself is supposed to be a closed automotive industry-only show) in Las Vegas was not a "Packard concept" car, but rather what used to be known as a "full custom." A concept car as it was originally known in the terminology would have been built by the original car manufacturer and normally purpose-built for the aim of showing off factory styling concepts (thus the name) and experimental technologies or predicting possible future directions of the brand...all by the company. The customized Studebaker in question was none of these things. A "full-custom" used to mean... it was fully customized. But nobody wants to say what a car really is anymore, so this is why nobody know what's what anymore.

In recent years (especially since Packard Motor Car Company is conveniently dead and gone and since so few people attending shows now remember what Packard did and did not do) a number of so-called "Packard concept car" thingies have turned up at shows, auctions and even museums. Since most people don't know any better, the trend continues. One of these was a customized chopped/whacked late-in-the-run 1956 Patrician (according to the serial number and cut-up body) with VW, Chevy, T-Bird and other parts mixed onto it and claimed to be a factory "concept Caribbean." It made it on TV and all the way into a museum. Some of these "concepts" outrageously claim to have originated from Packard. But real Packard concepts are pretty well documented–especially those that are post war concepts. But the trend continues and the terminologies continue to get muddied, especially now that some words are now magic with buyers at so-called "classic car auctions."

As automotive terminology and meanings are in a wild free-fall (especially with the advent of the internet) and nobody is monitoring any of it. Terms that once meant something no longer seem to have a meaning–except as whatever one wants them to mean. All of which is why we now have announcers on TV shows saying things like "it's a tribute car" (meaning its a fake), or it's a "restoration" (this may mean anything)... or it's "all original" (again... this may mean anything and very well can mean it is a Chevy with a Toyota electrical system)... or it's a "resto-mod" (again may mean anything from a prewar Packard with a 2018 Chevy fuel-injhected crate engine to what have you). For automotive historians, this trend is rather maddening... but it continues unabated. It is...whatever it is.
Last edited by Leeedy on Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leeedy

Postby Leeedy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 am

masonmiller wrote:Subsequent to visiting SEMA show. A wealth intriguing issues for the general vehicle sweetheart. Out of the few automobiles on display, I discovered few Packard. It's brilliant because of the reality the vehicle is one of a kind and finish with two or three minor special cases. The motor runs wipe without a smoke or pass up methods for. The inside has been revamped in supposedly the bona fide style broadcloth and is in wonderful condition. The glass is great beside a broke traveler entryway window.

vast car show, which opens next week, is already getting the attention of the wrong kind – for its impressive list of no-shows. Besides the glaring absence of Tesla and its electric Model 3, the roster of big names staying away has grown this year to include such venerable brands as Nissan, Peugeot, Fiat, Volvo, Jeep, Mitsubishi, and Infiniti. Latest Updates

It appears there is a deep misunderstanding about what the SEMA show is and is not.
• SEMA is not a normal auto show that anyone can attend. SEMA Automotive Week is an auto industry trade show. It is not open to everyone and anyone who is not employed in or involved with the automotive industry in a professional way. While this rule has hugely slackened in the last 10 years and there are hoards of people now roaming around in the show from outside of the car industry, this was always the original intent and supposed hard rule.It is a trade show, not an auto show.

• Anyone who thinks SEMA is dying as some typical consumer auto shows are has to be a more recent attendee with mistaken expectations. Having attended SEMA since the 1970s I can tell you that it is at least 10 times larger than it used to be and has grown immensely over the years–especially with so many now attending from outside of the industry. SEMA is so big it is split into several venues (it would not all fit into the gigantic Las Vegas Convention Center). Comparing SEMA to a regular consumer auto show or a car gathering (perhaps other than Hershey) is just comparing apples and oranges. As a SEMA attendee for several decades, I can assure you, there was a time I stopped by nearly every booth and knew most of the people and companies exhibiting. But now...it is so big that I don't even try to see it all.

• ALL automotive manufacturers or typical displays from car makers are definitely not expected nor traditional at the SEMA show. This is not a traditional auto show that can be attended by consumers and thus cannot be compared to typical auto shows. SOME car makers do show up at SEMA, but since there are no consumer/general public attendees, the car makers are merely there to do their thing for the industry and possibly inform industry professionals and the press what they are up to. But it should be absolutely no surprise that typical car displays from typical car makers are not present. This does not mean they are "no-shows" but rather that there is no solid reason (economic or otherwise) for them to be there.

• While SOME new vehicles are shown at SEMA, this show is really aimed at the automotive aftermarket–not new car sales. SEMA is an aftermarket trade show. Thus it is common to see dolled-up, customized cars tricked out with accessories and speed equipment and modifications at SEMA (in other words, things usually not on the car from the OEM)... and far less common to see OEM car makers there showing off new Toyotas and VWs. Or even Teslas. Whole different kind of venue.

• The link questioning whether consumer car shows are dying is just completely a moot point when it comes to talking about SEMA Automotive Week trade show. Two very, very different kinds of shows.Two very different purposes. And supposedly two very different kinds of attendees.
Leeedy

Postby Tinman_70 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 am

I guess I should have been more specific about my former post regarding the 2016 SEMA Show. It is a trade show put on by the Specialty Equipment Market Association. It is not a "car" show per say, but primarily a product showcase. However, within the product displays there are show cars, probably as many as 1,000 over the 2 million square feet of indoor space at the Las Vegas Convention Center as well as the vast outdoor areas. It is an industry show and is not open the the public and you must have authenticated automotive business credentials to attend. It has grown larger every year and will continue to expand. The show is featured on several TV shows and the auto enthusiasts of every sort can get a flavor of what goes on from numerous videos featured on YouTube.com. Sorry that my post was confusing to some.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook
Tinman_70

Return to Shows, Events & Judging