Lubricant Recommendations

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
Dave Czirr

Re: Lubricant Recommendations

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 am

A perhaps better response could be provided is you could advise (a) what typical climatic temperatures will the car encounter, (b) what's the general internal condition (clearances) of the motor. A very general recommendation for a motor in good condition, reasonably tight, and for typical temperatures in the 60s thru the 80s, an SAE 30 oil. If you drive in cooler temps you may want something thinner, for higher temps and/or an engine with some clearances beginning to open up a bit, something heavier.

And yes, a detergent oil if you engine is nice and clean inside.

NickVanPierre

Post by NickVanPierre » Sun May 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Thank you kindly for your reply Mr. Czirr,
Located in the northeast and the vehicle has for its existence. 60’s - 80’s is an accurate range during the warm months when it will be driven.
It is a low mileage car but believe it’s not the tightest. This being the case—what would be the “next step” heavier than the SAE 30?
Sincerely,
Nick

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun May 30, 2021 2:31 pm

You might consider one of the SAE 15W-40 light truck diesel oils like Shell's Rotella T, it's found considerable use in the hobby. I used it for many years in my high mileage 1956 Caribbean convertible, but for a nice snug engine less viscous oils will flow more quickly and thus lubricate faster on startup, transfer heat better, etc.

PS. Nick, another way to think about it is to use lowest viscosity consistent with still maintaining proper oil pressures.

NickVanPierre

Post by NickVanPierre » Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Thank you for your insights, I greatly appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Nick

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 am

I concur with Dave on the Shell Rotella either straight 30w or the 15/40 which is what I use in my 32/901. You cannot overstate the need for clean oil in one of these engines. Case in point, I rebuilt the upper end of my engine bored, sleeved, new pistons, wrist pins and rings. Cylinder Bores were oval shaped and tappered top to bottom so very much in need. Keep in mind that the rods are rifle bored from crank shaft to wrist pin, mine were partially blocked with sludge and the wrist pins suffered as a result. The rifle bore is pretty small and having clean oil is essential for proper flow up those rod bores. However just as important are the cam followers ( levers ) that are also rifle bored and feed oil from the cam shaft bearings into the lever shaft. The cam lever is rifle bored to feed oil to the cam rollers which are used to lift the valves. I have replaced the rollers on my engine and found broken bushings on the rollers, ( photo attached ) while the pins seemed to have little wear. Any dirt in the oil could easily clog those rifle bores which would hasten bushing life even more than mains and rods which have much larger oil bores and less likely to clog with suspended crud. After replacing the rollers and pins the engine is significantly quieter on start up. I also believe, at least in my case, that 30w tended to drain out of the bearings between start ups. I think that the 15w/40 stays in the bearings longer and thus provide lubrication on start up. Most of these cars are driven very little so oil drain off is an important factor to me between infrequent uses.
Attachments
Photo#1.jpg