Bijur Lube System

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
Richard Kirkman

Bijur Lube System

Post by Richard Kirkman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:19 pm

There are differing ideas about the correct lubricant for the Bijur chassis lubricating system. The Packard 443 owner's manual isn't much help; it just says to use genuine Packard Chassis Lubricating Oil. I'd appreciate hearing from others on this topic... what to use and/or what to avoid.

Dave Czirr

Re: Bijur Lube System

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am

SAE 50 motor oil or SAE 90 GL-1 gear oil (simple mineral gear oil) are both very similar to the original Bijur Oil. I've used both rather interchangeably over the last 50+ years, never a problem attributable to either.

introinc

Post by introinc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 am

Dear Dave and anyone else,

Can you provide any instruction or documentation on how to adjust the rate of oil flow from my Bijur system on my 1934 please? Please view the attached pics of my system. Please note the one pic showing a "manifold" part and to the left of it an apparent adjusting screw. I do not know what these are for and how they may impact the rate of flow from the Bijur system. My system is putting out so much oil it drains the tank in less than 150 miles. I believe you previously noted to me that the Bijur system will dispense a lot of oil but should not be more than a pint if that after 150 miles of driving in town. I would really love to find some documentation about the Bijur system and how to manage it but so far no luck. Thanks for considering my inquiry.

Craig
Attachments
PXL_20210806_132005395.jpg
1934 Bijur Auto Lube System (1)
PXL_20210806_132027487.jpg
1934 Bijur Auto Lube System (2)
PXL_20210806_132136300.jpg
1934 Bijur Auto Lube System (3)

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:18 am

The screw you question as an adjustment is not, it's just a plug for an access location for attaching test equipment, for example a vacuum gauge to adjust carburetor idle mixtures, available vacuum to the power brake system, etc. Bijur manual attached for the continuous model.

Really, the drip plugs primarily control the oil delivery and the system doesn't really have or need an adjustment, though there is a vacuum dampening fitting which I believe Bijur called a vacuum regulator at the inlet to the pump diaphragm, there were several sizes available. Though I've never heard of any adjustment being required for delivery rates on the continuous Bijur unit, you might try restricting the size of the orifice in that fitting. A blob of solder and then drilling a smaller hole would be one approach as I don't believe those fittings are still available though you might check with Bruce Blevins who makes many Bijur parts. Normally, changing this orifice would only be required if the vehicle were used extensively for stop and go driving with little or no highway miles, maybe there is some other fault with your unit? How about the large diaphragm spring that dampens the pump stroke? I'd guess that an incorrect (weaker) spring would result in more oil delivery.
Attachments
Bijur 1.jpg
Bijur 2.jpg
Bijur 3.jpg
Bijur 4.jpg
Bijur 5.jpg
Bijur 6.jpg
Bijur 8.jpg

introinc

Post by introinc » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Very helpful Dave and I cannot thank you enough for the manual and your insight as to how I might better "control" the oil flow.
I will definitely chat with Bruce some more about this issue. Have a great weekend and your guidance and expertise and so very helpful.