1911 mod 30 engine and rear transaxle oil

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
ftadams14

1911 mod 30 engine and rear transaxle oil

Post by ftadams14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Does anyone have information on 1911 model 30 engine oil capacities. I know that the engine is a splash/pressure system, but need to know how much oil to put in the crankcase and how much to put into the oil tank? Also, I need to know how much oil is required for the transmission and rear axle (transaxle)? Is there an internet source?

Ozstatman

Re: 1911 mod 30 engine and rear transaxle oil

Post by Ozstatman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:17 am

G'day,

Closest I could find was a manual for a 1914 Packard "1438" Information Data Bookl, this was on PackardInfo.com, and you can download the manual for free.

Not the same as yours bit most likely similar. Although no quantities are given, it may be helpful.

Here's the link to the manual http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/d ... mation.pdf

Pages 39 and 41 talk about filling the engine with oil to the level of the petcock on the side of the engine. I know that 1922 First Series Sixes also have this feature and no dipstick, so filling is a matter of pour and observe.

While page 14 talks about filling the Rear Axle Case to the level of the two brass plugs on the underside of the housing.

Hope this helps.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.