Check you differential gear oil recently?

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
Dave Czirr

Check you differential gear oil recently?

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 am

This differential gear shows the consequences! Not only was it destroyed but the metal shards destroyed the all the spider gears, the carrier and pinion bearings, the ring and pinion gears, and even some wear on the axle shaft splines. It must have made a he!! of a noise but apparently that wasn't heard, finally the vehicle just stopped going.
Attachments
spider gear 002.JPG

Adam

Re: Check you differential gear oil recently?

Post by Adam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:55 am

Dave Czirr wrote: It must have made a he!! of a noise but apparently that wasn't heard, finally the vehicle just stopped going.

I bet it did!! When all drive was lost because the sun gear no longer meshed with the planet gears!

I have never seen anything like it. I suppose it must have been run with no oil at all, for quite some time. As you say, the noise must have been excruciating, or was the driver deaf? or just deafened by the noise from the axle?

Of course when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line those gears, and the planet gears are not rotating against each other, so all that damage must have happened when cornering.

Astonishing !! :shock:
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

DrMorbius

Re: Check you differential gear oil recently?

Post by DrMorbius » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:53 pm

That's the worst one I've ever seen!