47 super clipper temp sending unit

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
mauel 1957

47 super clipper temp sending unit

Post by mauel 1957 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,
HELP!! I have been blessed with a gift of a 47 super clipper, that after 23 years in a very leaky barn, after very little effort, is running and quite driveable. All gauges work, with one important exception. The temp Gauge. Upon checking the straight eight from every angle, I cant find any kind of sending unit for the temp gauge. Where would it have been , and how can I obtain one?
Manny

Dave Czirr

Re: 47 super clipper temp sending unit

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Temp sensor is in the cylinder head, driver's (left) side, at the very rear. Honestly I don't recall if the 47 is the electrical resistance type or the capillary bulb type. If the former, sending units are easily available from any of the usual Packard Vendors, Bob Stolzfus, Kanter Bros, Joel Ray (Patrician Industries), Max Merritt, etc. If it's of the capillary bulb and tube type, the complete assembly including the gauge and capillary and bulb must be removed as a unit and sent out for repair. There are several folks who repair these, they advertise in Hemmings Motor News. If you need that kind of information, come on back and let us know and we'll provide contact information.

Best of luck with your Super Clipper, they are among my favorite postwar cars. How about posting a picture or two for us?

mauel 1957

Post by mauel 1957 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks Dave, and I'll take some pics of "the beast" and post them
Manny

Clipper47

Post by Clipper47 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 pm

The 1947 Super Clipper has a capillary tube type temp. gauge.