CUP GREASE

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
Al Pressman

CUP GREASE

Post by Al Pressman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:41 am

Is there a present day grease that is similar to #3 cup grease used to lubricate the distributor? (1940 356 engine)
The help at the local auto parts stores have no idea what I'm talking about.
Thanks for all replies.
Al

Dave Czirr

Re: CUP GREASE

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Al, I'll mail you some, enough for a couple of years. More where that came from. It's a rather odd-consistency grease and I am not aware of a modern equivalent though I suspect chassis grease or LubriPlate would probably do fine.

Al Pressman

Post by Al Pressman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 am

THANKS,Dave.

Packardman

Post by Packardman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 am

I have looked for a grease that will substitute for original cup grease for some time. I find that chassis lube seems to run right through the distributor bushing and I wasn't too satisfied with that. I never had the feeling of confidence that it was being lubed sufficiently.
I found a "Lubriplate" product that was very heavy but still not as heavy as cup grease and it's readily available.
"Lubriplate 1200-2" It is a water pump grease but I see no reason it can't be used on the distributor.

Also you can go on line and find "Penrite". It is a company that sells lubricants among other things and they have a water pump lube that is a little heavier than the Lubriplate. It is made in the U.K. It isn't the cheapest stuff but then we face that all the time.
I find either one of these very satisfactory and they are heavy enough that when you turn the cup periodically you can tell there is something there.
I would love to find some old stock cup grease but I guess it's gone forever. You were wise Dave in having and keeping what you have left.
Bob Williams

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 am

Bob, I completely agree with you about the use of chassis grease in a grease cup, definately a last resort. When you turn the cup not only do you not get the "feel" that you're moving grease thru the passage to the bushings, it's so "fluid" that it would rather squeeze out around the threads of the grease cup.

As I understand it the major difference with water pump grease is that they use Calcium hydroxide to saponify the fatty acids in the oils rather than Sodium which leads to a much less water-soluble grease and I'd think its lubrication properties are quite sufficient for other applications. SOMEWHERE there is a source for cup grease, we'll just have to keep looking. I did check Penrite and Lubriplate listings, but no soap (pardon the pun).

jacko

Post by jacko » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Dave, REgarding the discussion about cup grease....what about using silicon vacuum grease that a chemist would use in the lab to seal a lapped glass taper joint or the lid on a dessicator? From experience, I have used this type of grease in the lab but never thought of using it in a distributor grease cup. It might work well because it is at least twice as thick as vaseline. I may try this myself on my 33.

Bob

autoluke

Post by autoluke » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:59 am

Dave, Al, etc.

I have ordered a high viscosity grease from DOW which seems to meet the parameters of cup grease...will report later,

Phil

autoluke

Post by autoluke » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 am

As a follow-up to my earlier message, I have purchased in ideal cup grease: DOW High Vacuum Grease, siloxane based and high viscosity.

Phil

drfrank

Post by drfrank » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

I myself questioned that same thing and I was directed to a Mechanic that works on Antique cars for the Volo Antique Auto museum,and he said white Litihium grease would work fine.That is what Iam using on my 36 120 Tour Coupe.

zdillinger

Post by zdillinger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:33 am

I realize that this is a very old thread but I have relevant information on the topic.

I recently emailed the National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) requesting information about the #3 cup grease specified in the service manual for my '39 Packard. Their reply is pasted below:

"The term “#3 Cup Grease” refers to a product that was typically composed of a mineral oil and calcium soap thickener, and having NLGI 3 grade consistency. Such products were common 75 years ago. In fact the term “cup grease” originated from the products used to lubricate the crude bearings of horse-drawn wagons (bearing cup). Modern NLGI 3 grade greases should be suitable for the lubrication of the distributor on your 1939 Packard 120. Such products are available from multiple suppliers."

So, I'll hunt for an NLGI #3 grease for the distributor grease cup, and try to find one with a calcium soap (although it sounds as if lithium soap should be ok). I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks,
Zach Dillinger