Throw out bearing lube

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
GJBINSC

Throw out bearing lube

Post by GJBINSC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm

New Member here, On my 1932 901 the automatic Bijur system was not connected when I bought the car, the vacuum tube was not installed to the intake manifold, now fixed, and working, maybe ! Upon inspecting all the Bijur meters I found that the one to my throw out bearing was blocked off and a zerk ( rimes with Jerk ) installed ( a real no-no ). Obviously the jack wagon that did that did not know he may have done irritable harm to the bearing. I removed the zerk and discovered that little grease was in the fitting. So I ran a 19 ga wire in the hole of the bell housing and it went in about 4 in. My hope is to rig a temp line and squirt some oil in there and see if the tube is free. Possibly the heat from running may have melted the aforementioned grease and the tube may be clear. My question is, does anyone know if that tube has a 90 degree bend at the end so oil will run into the cup on the top of the bearing ? is there even is a cup on top of that bearing ? and, assuming the clown that did this did not fool with it beyond the outside of the bell housing, I may get some much needed oil where it is supposed to be.

Dave Czirr

Re: Throw out bearing lube

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am

Hi, and welcome!

1934 is my closest point of reference, I'm not sure just what was done in 1932, by 1934 the Bijur drip plug for the throwout bearing fed a flexible hose which then fed the oil to the bearing (see pix below). But regardless of that, the first thing I'd do is to check and see what type of bearing you have. As far back as 25 years and maybe more, a permanently lubricated throwout bearing was available and a widely popular replacement, that's what my '34 has, and in that case you want to permanently disable the oil line.

In 1934 Packard was still recommending heavy oil for lubricating the kingpins, tie rod ends, drag link, etc. and a bit later they changed that to recommend grease. So I'd suspect grease may be perfectly acceptable for a throwout bearing. I know of some '34 Packards that are regularly on the touring circuit where the owner has (unfortunately, in my mind) replaced the Bijur and made use of traditional Alemite fittings.
Attachments
34 throwout and Bijur hose 2.jpg
34 throwout bearing and Bijur hose 1.jpg

GJBINSC

Re: Throw out bearing lube

Post by GJBINSC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:34 am

Thanks Dave, your help is very much appreciated. I did hook up a temp line and squirted about 1oz of 40w oil in that line, I figured it could not hurt. Fortunately the bearing does not seem to make any noise so it either did some good, or at least no harm. Interesting that the Bijur might have been cut off and greased rather than oiled, as grease would not get into the bearing without some tube set up like your photo, but either way oil would flow better so will keep with that until I know otherwise. I am sure not going to pull the trans just to find out.