Why is there Water Under My 56 Caribbean Convertible

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
ScottB

Why is there Water Under My 56 Caribbean Convertible

Post by ScottB » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:52 am

I have a 1956 Packard Caribbean convertible. This morning, there was a lot of water under the middle of the car and both sides of the car extending out to the walls of the garage. The water did not have any antifreeze or other chemicals in it. Any idea what may have leaked from my car? Any help is appreciated. Scott

Dave Czirr

Re: Why is there Water Under My 56 Caribbean Convertible

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:45 am

The second largest source of water in the car after the cooling system is the windshield washer reservoir, under the front right fender just ahead of the passenger door hinge (if the car is stock). But it's not realistic that it would have enough water to match your description. Another source of water though again it doesn't seem possible that it could be in that amount would be accumulated condensate from the A/C if so equipped. Though you discount it, the most likely source is still the cooling system.

Perhaps it's from something you were storing in the trunk? Or from some source unrelated to the car?

Let us know when you find out.

Howard56

Re: Why is there Water Under My 56 Caribbean Convertible

Post by Howard56 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:22 pm

If you are absolutely sure there is no antifreeze in the liquid then not the cause but another frequent and hard to find leak is at the heater control valve.

When the rubber seal around the thermostatic valve stem fails coolant can run down behind the dash pad and under the carpet to pool in a depression in the floor then drip out the body hold down bolt location roughly a few inches in from the area where the hinge side of the door jamb meets the floor. I would lift the carpet and verify everything is dry on the passenger side to totally rule out the possibility of a leak at the valve.

If a hose clamp failed at one of the hose connections on the valve there could also be a leak that could be hidden in the same way but if the rubber grommet seal around the tubing is intact coolant is less likely to go inside so usually runs down the engine side of the firewall. There is also a slim chance the heater core could be leaking and coolant running out at the firewall end of the air vent duct or the front where the cloth air duct tube connects.