Custom Fitted luggage for a 1934 Packard Series 1100

Discussions related to interchangeability between years and models, and currently available modern sources for parts.
Payneangelfire

Custom Fitted luggage for a 1934 Packard Series 1100

Post by Payneangelfire » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have a 1934 Packard Series 1100 that has a luggage trunk mounted off the bumper with fitted luggage in the trunk. The luggage is worn in spots and needs refurbishment. I have talked to classic restoration shops in the Houston Area and have struck out so far. I can't seem to find someone to do this.

The trunk says "Packard Motor Car Company Detroit" on the outside. The latches have embossed "M Autolock." When opening the trunk on the inside of the drop down door, there is printed a big "K" overlaying a red parallelogram. The latches on the luggage say "Bassett."

Any ideas or suggestions?

John P.
#046050P

Dave Czirr

Re: Custom Fitted luggage for a 1934 Packard Series 1100

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:18 am

Hi John,
From your description it appears you have an authentic Packard accessory trunk, it sounds like the same one I have on my 1934 1100. The "K" emblem was the logo for KamLee trunks, made for Packard by McKane-Lins company of Milwaukee and they came in several internal configurations, I'll enclose an image of one with a hatbox which shows the blue interior fabric and the "K" logo. I'm not aware of anyone who does trunk restorations, but as you view the cars with trunks at the various concours around the country (Amelia, Pebble, etc.) clearly some of the best restoration shops either do this internally or have someone available who does it for them so I'd think you should just keep inquiring of the better nation-wide restoration shops and eventually you'll get a hit.

I suspect a restoration will be expensive, the cloth, paper and leatherette cladding is bread and butter work for a good upholstery man, but the hardware is quite another as at least on mine the exterior hardware is chromium plated and the interior hardware is nickel plated. And the complex pieces like hinges and latches will probably have to be oompletely disassembled prior to plating, and then reassembled - tedious and time-consuming work!

Also enclosing page 5 of the 1934 Accessory Catalog, there were many styles of trunks available and those pictures are just some of them.

As a matter of curiousity, does your trunk rack installation include the swiveling support posts fixed to the rear bumper?
Attachments
trunk with hatbox 2.jpg
34 acc pg 5.jpg

Payneangelfire

Re: Custom Fitted luggage for a 1934 Packard Series 1100

Post by Payneangelfire » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am

Thanks for the great info. My luggage configuration is the exact same one as in your picture. I’ll keep talking to people at shows till I find the info I need. I only need to fix one luggage case.

As for the the “swiveling support posts,” if I understand correctly that is what I have. I even have the Packard Trunk Guard pictured.

Thanks again again.

John P.
#046050P