Auto-Lite IGP 4502 and 4502A, B, C, D, E distributors

Discussions related to interchangeability between years and models, and currently available modern sources for parts.
dadspacs

Auto-Lite IGP 4502 and 4502A, B, C, D, E distributors

Post by dadspacs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:22 am

From what I can tell, the Auto-Lite IGP 4502 distributor is for a 282. 4205A is for '48-'50 288's, the various letters advancing with model year on up through 4502E for '54 288. My questions is this; what actually changed from version to version of the various 4502 distributors? Are they all interchangeable? I would think that at least the "A" through "E" would be as I believe they were all intended for use in 288's (and I expect 327's as well). I've done a little online surfing but have not discovered any differences. Anyone with any knowledge on this topic, your comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

John Harley

Re: Auto-Lite IGP 4502 and 4502A, B, C, D, E distributors

Post by John Harley » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm

DADSPACS

DAve Czirr is away, he may be able to tell you when he gets back. In the meantime, if you have the parts book, you might be able to trace the changes in the distributors by the changes in the internal parts. My very uneducated guess would be changes in the advance weights, springs and vacuum advance to keep up with changes in carbs and compression

Regards

John Harley

CanadianDelux

Post by CanadianDelux » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:34 pm

I know this is an old discussion, but I am in need of assistance. I am new to the Packards, having recently purchased a 49 Deluxe. I have the Autolite IGP 4502B distributor in my 288 and I am having a hard time getting the correct ignition points here in Ontario Canada. Could some one please give me a number that I can use to get the correct ones. I have tried numbers CS-16, CS-17, FD8081, F8081T, CS-851 and CS-720P. None of these are correct. Anybody have a current number?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Some of these numbers have been superceeded but this plus a good counterman should get you a current number. The OEM style with the right angle arm for the eccentric adjusting screw is NLA, but you don't need it. The Echlin parts are from NAPA, most non-NAPA parts stores stock Standard. I also believe all the major Packard vendors have suitable points.

Belated answer to dadspacs, one of the differences in the IGP series over the years is the mechanical and vacuum advance curves. There may be other minor changes; yes they interchange but not with the best performance unless you rework the advance curves to match the engine.
Attachments
Electrical Echlin list.jpg
Electrical Standard listing.jpg