1956 400 w Factory Air

Discussions related to interchangeability between years and models, and currently available modern sources for parts.
PMCCTX

1956 400 w Factory Air

Post by PMCCTX » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:05 am

Blew one of the AC hoses on my '56 with factory air. Where can I get a reproduction hose fabricated?

Prudence

Re: 1956 400 w Factory Air

Post by Prudence » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 am

Certainly Kantor and Max Merritt could supply you with a new hose. However, I suspect if you take the hose to a local firm that makes high pressure hoses for industrial equipment, they could wamp you one out pretty darn fast....and perhaps a bit less money than the national suppliers. Ernie in Arizona ;)

Howard56

Re: 1956 400 w Factory Air

Post by Howard56 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Most any of the AC shops should be able build the hose and I believe the screw on fittings are the standard SAE flare which should still be available -- although maybe slightly different in looks. I think the biggest issue on finding someplace to have the hose remade is because of the way the hose connects at the compressor end. Will they be able to remove the old hose without doing any damage to the muffler assy and then re-attach the new hose(s) using modern clamps or better, a ferrule to more closely match what is there. The ferrule option needs special crimping equipment which may not have enough room to fit on the hose nipple. If that work is not possible I don't believe anything modern will be able to duplicate the original single piece fitting and muffler layout if a stock look is of concern. If they can't do it you might get their idea of what would be the best alternative. At one time Classic Air in Florida had rebuild services for old OEM items and if they still do that work they might be able to do the job if no one local is willing.

I have no idea if Kanter will have NOS hoses but IMO, if you are replacing the pressure side I would be leery of using dry 65 year old rubber even if it has only sat on a shelf.