Plastic material on door pull- 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper

Discussions related to interchangeability between years and models, and currently available modern sources for parts.
merletanner

Plastic material on door pull- 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper

Post by merletanner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Does anyone know a source for the plastic wrap on the door pulls of a 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper?
Thanks,
Merle

Stuart R. Blond

Re: Plastic material on door pull- 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 pm

About 40 years ago someone was advertising this in the Packards International magazine. It may have been a club project, back when they were making and selling projects.

Howard56

Re: Plastic material on door pull- 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper

Post by Howard56 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Stuart, I vaguely remember the wrap at one of the PI meets but I believe that stuff is long gone since it was not available at a followup meet I went to. Also cannot remember if it was solid plastic or the aquarium air hose Carol Mauck was telling someone about at that other meet. I do remember how she gave instructions to go about tightly wrapping the handles with the clear plastic tubing and how it was a good substitute. I and others have done that on our Clippers with very good results. One thing I did find when I did mine is the typical air tubing I found in pet stores today is not quite right -- too wide and too thin walled. I used a clear Tygon tubing with walls about 1/32 thick and slightly less in diameter than typical 3/16 OD aquarium air lines. Stuff I used is more typically in food and lab environments and available on Amazon and Ebay. I am very pleased with the result.