New User looking for Packard support

Discussions related to interchangeability between years and models, and currently available modern sources for parts.
dcDE302girl

New User looking for Packard support

Post by dcDE302girl » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've had my grandfathers 1952 Packard for awhile, and want to give it some attention. My Dad and grandfather were mechanics, and I'd like to learn, but am not a mechanic...I was my Dad's shop "secretary" growing up lol. My Dad is not working on cars anymore. There are one or two local mechanics we know who have the knowledge to work on vintage autos (east coast, Delaware). One is supposed to take a look at it in a few weeks. I'm wondering if you have any favorite tips, books, or other information for someone starting out. My Packard did run about 10 years ago, but I believe that is the last time. It's been kept in a pole building for the last 50 or so years. Also, what are your suggestions for finding key blanks? I have brass Briggs and Stratton keys and would like to get an extra set made. I look forward to reading through the forums on this website and learning a lot!

My cousin had her fathers 1965 Malibu and she and I took it to a show years back and had a blast. She and I also joined the Historical Vintage Car Club in our state and I think folks were interested to see two young ladies join and participate. :) She has since passed away but I intend on getting back to the club and enjoying the Packard more. I'm super excited to possibly take the Packard to a show this year if we can get it going! My grandfather took it to a lot of shows and I have his board with the dash plaques and a trophy of his as well. My family has a long history with this car. My Dad said my grandfather bought it in 1976. I'd love to hear any tips on your favorite places to source parts these days, learn Packard history, etc. (I have a Kanter catalog). Thanks for anything you want to share!

Prudence

Re: New User looking for Packard support

Post by Prudence » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:15 am

Good morning...ACE Hardware has the blank for our 1949 Packard and I imagine that it would be the same one for your 1952 Packard...You might look up Ross Miller who works on Packards and is active on this site and Packardinfo.com...It seems to me that he is in New Jersey...He has a great deal of experience and it might be worth sending your Packard to him to get it running and operating properly...Good Luck...Ernie in Arizona ;)

Dave Czirr

Re: New User looking for Packard support

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:44 pm

Ross Miller is in Maryland. Business name Speedwell Garage.