1940 Packard two-door sedan

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
palehorse

1940 Packard two-door sedan

Post by palehorse » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi. My name is Bob and I'm new to the forum.
I have owned a long list of classic cars but never a Packard. I have a 1940 two-door sedan. I know the purists will not be happy as the car has been modified with after-market wheels, a Chevy big block motor, and a 400 turbo automatic transmission. When I acquired the car, the title indicated that it was a 110. However, the metal tag on the cowl that is not the typical black metal tag indicates that it is a 120. It's a bare metal plate secured with rivets and has stylized numerals that are 13942093. The tag looks like it's been on the car for decades. I have supplied some pictures of the car. It has Super8 emblems and louvers on the hood side of the car. It has Super8 taillights and it also has a third brake light with Packard script which I believe is also Super8. The car has a stock radio which I believe was an accessory. I inspected the stock brakes. They are 12-inch brakes. The front shoes are 2 inches wide...the rear shoes are 2-1/2 inches wide. I do not believe this is standard for a 120. I am really confused as to what model the car really is. Of course, it's possible that a previous owner switched out parts on the car. This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me that someone would put these high-end parts on a two-door sedan. Is it possible that the original buyer could have ordered the car in this configuration from the factory or is this something Packard would never do?
I appreciate anyone's input.
Thanks,
Bob
Attachments
Packard 1.jpg
1940 Packard 1
Packard 2.jpg
1940 Packard 2
Packard3.jpg
1940 Packard 3
Packard4.jpg
1940 Packard 4

Dave Czirr

Re: 1940 Packard two-door sedan

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 am

In the number your posted, the first digits (1394) designate a 1940 "120" 2-door touring sedan. The remainder of the number is the production sequence number for that specific model and body style. As the numbering began at 2000, you apparently have the 93rd 1940 120 2-door touring sedan manufactured. The center stop light is correct, the Super Eight features are incorrect for a 120 and were not offered. And check those brake dimensions, I haven't checked the part book but it would be extremely unusual to have rear shoes wider than front.

IMO very unfortunate your car has been so heavily modified.

How about a picture of the riveted plate containing the 8-digt number?

palehorse

Post by palehorse » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:58 pm

Thank you Dave for your input. I did not make the modifications to the car nor did the party I bought it from. Any history about it is lost. I too am concerned about the brakes. I have received numerous suggestions as to what parts are correct however no two suggestions are alike. The brake shoes basically look new and show very little wear. The brake drums are also in very good condition. The wheel cylinders are shot. I ordered a set from Kanter. They look correct however the threaded inlet is much larger than the ones I took off. I don't know if they are correct for the car. It's not a big deal as I planned to replace the brake lines anyway. I forgot to mention in my original post that the car has power brakes. Somebody installed a modern master cylinder and booster on the firewall. I'm not sure if this would have an adverse effect on the stock wheel cylinder or not.

I will try to take a picture of the ID tag and post it later this week. The numbers are very lightly stamped on the plate so I don't know if they will show up or not. I am enclosing a picture of the rear brake. It's the only picture that I have at the moment. Maybe it will be helpful.

I am planning to order a complete front-end rebuilding kit from Kanter. They identify the car as a two-door Club Sedan. I'm becoming a little gun shy about ordering parts as I have very limited knowledge when it comes to Packards. I bought the car to utilize as a daily driver and to have fun with so far I'm not having a lot of fun.

Thank
Bob
Attachments
Packard brake.jpg
Rear brake

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm

That is not the original Packard rear axle and brake assembly, it's from a different make and much latter vintage. You've got a real mongrel on your hands. Such substitutions, when undocumented, are going to make it difficult to obtain correct service parts.

palehorse

Post by palehorse » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:17 pm

Quite surprised to hear that the rear end is not original. It looks ancient. It does not resemble any GM, Ford, or Chrysler product that I am familiar with. Since I cannot get any detailed specifications, I have decided to go in another direction. I have decided to remove the suspension and rear axle and replace them with a modern one with disc brakes. This way I will know exactly what I have. I understand and respect the purist's point of view however I also respect modernization. This will give me dependability, safety, and performance. This will also give me easy access to replacement parts at any local auto parts store.

I thank you for your time.