Do these cars still exist?

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
Dave Czirr

Do these cars still exist?

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 am

I saw this document in some old Packard literature that came my way. People always want to find the history of their Packards. If either of these cars still exist, 5672-2000, or 2562-19170, the first owner to contact me is welcome to this original document. From the few dealer invoices I've seen from this era, what is uncommon is that it includes both the Utica engine plant motor number as well as the Utica transmission number so this would be one of the few cases where documents exist as to a "numbers-matching" driveline associated with a specific vehicle. Note that the Executive has a "B" series engine (5660) and an "A" series transmission (5640).
Attachments
5672 2000 Packard Lancaster.jpg

Leeedy

Re: Do these cars still exist?

Post by Leeedy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 am

NOTE in the listing that undercoating was a rather expensive, but purchased option! In light of some recent internet forum mentions of whether or whether not undercoating was on these cars... here is your answer!

As I have said previously, in the 1950s, it was a big deal to get your new car undercoated... especially in rust belt states. And the dealers always stressed: "You've gotta do it while the car is new and rust hasn't started in on the underside!"

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:59 pm

At least some of the later S-P models received undercoating at the factory. My '58 Packard Hawk shows undercoat on the invoice
and inspection of the car reveals that even today quite a bit of the tarry stuff still on the car. It's still got the rust bug in some places
but on the whole I think it did some service in preserving the car.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:21 pm

APL, just curious - how can you tell from the invoice that the undercoating was done at the factory and not by the dealer?

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:32 pm

RE:1958 Packard Undercoat. I got a copy of the factory "build" slip from the records at South Bend. It lists the color etc to be built and
it notes undercoat was ordered. A copy of the final order sheet attached. As you can see this was body #588 out of 588. All my numbers
match those on the factory slip.
Attachments
build slip.jpg

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Dave Czirr wrote:APL, just curious - how can you tell from the invoice that the undercoating was done at the factory and not by the dealer?
You may notice on the 1956 Packard dealer-to-customer invoice there is a category heading for "Optional Equipment and Accessories." Under this maim heading are three sub-headings:
1.) NEW CAR–FACTORY INSTALLED
2.) NEW CAR–DEALER INSTALLED
3.) USED CAR–TRADE-IN

In the case of this invoice, "undercoating" is entered under "NEW CAR-FACTORY INSTALLED"

In other words, a customer could order undercoating to be done online at the factory...OR the customer could order undercoating to be done by the dealer.

Nice paper item, by the way!

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm

1958 Packard Build Sheet; Newest Packard

I should have called your attention the "final assembly date" on this factory production slip. It is July 22, 1958--which makes this car
assembled in the last couple days of Packard production. So.. It's as new a Packard as you can find anywhere--only 56 years old !!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Here's another interesting document and for the SAME car as the sales invoice that started this post. In the "Body Dash Serial No" a/k/a the theft-proof number, the first character is of course a "D", not an "0".

I hope the owner of this car if it's still with us comes forward to claim these documents.

EDIT: Adding .jpg version of the .pdf document.
Attachments
New 56 delivery.pdf
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
New 56 delivery cr.jpg