can someone help me identify this car? Hawk?

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
scoutsr2

can someone help me identify this car? Hawk?

Post by scoutsr2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:52 pm

58LSI364
it says Studebaker-Pakard Corporation on the tag and looks like a Golden Hawk except for a front end

genehouse

Re: can someone help me identify this car? Hawk?

Post by genehouse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:19 pm

First, I want to welcome you to the Forum. You will find a lot of helpful people here.

The 58LS was a Packard 2-Door Hardtop Coupe. It was not a Hawk based on the information I've seen but I can always be wrong. The Hawk has a V-8 and was Supercharged. I'm sure someone with specific information on this model will be alone shortly to say more.

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

scoutsr2

Post by scoutsr2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:00 am

It is a V-8...289 I believe with a supercharger on it as well. Looks just like a Studebaker Golden Hawk Except for an extension to the hood and bumper of fiberglass.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 am

Posting a photo would provide the identification. You know the old expression, "one picture is worth a thousand words".

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:35 am

58L is the designation for all 58 Packards of which there were 4 body models: Hawk, body style K9; hardtop, style J; sedan, style Y; and station wagon, P. The 58LS designation in the serial number would indicate it is a Hawk. The 58s were all based on Studebakers and since the Detroit Packard plant had closed, were built alongside Studebakers at the Studebaker plant in South Bend. The Hawk had single headlights, a slightly different grill opening and kept the round Studebaker tail lights. The other models had quad headlights mounted in a pod assembly and, like the 57 Studebaker based Packards, also continued the use of the Detroit styled 56 Packard Clipper gauges and vertical tail light treatment as an attempt at brand continuity. They also added a fin to keep up with the 58 styling trend of the time.

Here are photos and writeup of a 58 Packard hardtop illustrating the headlight and tail light treatment used on the 58 sedan, hardtop and station wagon. If the car you are inquiring about does not have that treatment then it is a Hawk. http://bringatrailer.com/2012/10/24/dou ... top-coupe/
Last edited by Howard56 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

scoutsr2

Post by scoutsr2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 am

not sure how to post a pic...I can email to someone
Attachments
HAWK1.jpg
figured it out

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:23 am

That is a Hawk.

scoutsr2

Post by scoutsr2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:30 am

So I guess Im a little ignorant of the relationship here....I thought Hawks were Studebakers. This car is quite homely looking but I'm guessing it is pretty rare as I have never seen or even heard of one. I have an opportunity to pick it up but have no idea of a value. Any estimates of numbers of these produced or still around?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

As part of what was supposed to be a grand scheme of the major independents coming together and becoming one to take on the "big three", the pertinent part of the story here is Packard and Studebaker "merged" in 54. Packard production was in Detroit, Studebaker in South Bend. In the big scheme Packard was to be the luxury brand and Studebaker the lower cost volume brand for the common folks. Two other independents were to fit in the middle. The plan was to retool for shared common bodies and eventually merge production for the cost benefits. A lot of things went wrong and the big plans changed. As S-P went it alone, money problems worsened & Packard was forced to cease Detroit production in 56. In order to fulfill dealer commitments and try to keep the Packard name alive until finances improved, they scraped enough money together for a car to be the 57 Packards. Because of financial and technical production problems, those had to be facelifted and rebadged Studebakers -- a sedan and station wagon -- with all production going to South Bend. The cars were a very luxurious Studebaker but traditional Packard customers and dealers at the time were not overly thrilled with the "downgrade" so the cars did not sell in quantities hoped for. They gave it one more shot in 58 with the addition of two more rebadged and facelifted models.

The Packard Hawk was reportedly inspired by the head of Curtis-Wright aircraft who was put in charge of running S-P at the time and some thought it was to be a personal car for him. There is still questions as to if it was intended to be a regular model or not but it went into production. The styling is controversial. 588 were built and as the 57-58 Packard selections line up, it is a very desirable and sought after model. Cars in good condition go for a decent price but like everything, it all depends on condition. NADA gives values from a low of $8500 to high of $32,500. Of course, being low production and mostly hand built some specific trim and mechanical items are hard to come by and expensive. Keep that in mind if you wind up buying the car. On the good side, since it is a Studebaker car under that trim and fiberglass, other mechanicals and body parts are shared and much easier to find than if it were a total one off.

scoutsr2

Post by scoutsr2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:05 am

thanks for the info, restoration wise I figured as much given the similarities between models. This car is very complete and has no body damage. I think some of the fiberglass components might need some TLC but they are all there and undamaged. the interior is complete as well. Im thinkin this one might just have a new home....