Help with the definition of the car model?

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
Sobol040

Re: Help with the definition of the car model?

Post by Sobol040 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 am

Then it turns out that these cars were originally produced by the plant, and then they were improved at the request of the owners in the Bohman & Schwartz workshop. Then it turns out that both cars in the photo are rare, modified cars?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 am

Some of these semi-custom cars, made in small groups of perhaps 25 at a time, were factory-cataloged, meaning the factory contracted with the builder like B&S or LeBaron to have a certain number built and sold by Packard, but this is not the case for Bohmann & Schwartz as Packard did not contract with them for cataloged cars. Many of the cars B&S is famous for were true unique, one-off customs, often for the Hollywood crowd. But in the case of this car, it's just some basic rework of a factory body, the owner would have bought the stock car from Packard and gave it over to B&S for whatever modifications he wanted.

You can read a little history of B&S here: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/bohman_ ... hwartz.htm

Sobol040

Post by Sobol040 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Good day! Please tell me the plant had any numbers on the FRAME. If Yes, in what place the number was applied.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:33 am

I'm not aware of frame numbers routinely used after 1936 on the senior models. In one case (sale of a junior running chassis, no coachwork aft of the cowl to a European coachbuilder) I've seen the vehicle number stamped on the frame near to where the generator is located.

Sobol040

Post by Sobol040 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 am

Dave Mirra, thank you for the information. If you have photos please attach to this topic. Thanks in advance!!!