Data Plate 38 1608

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
islandman

Data Plate 38 1608

Post by islandman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Greetings All, I'm a newbie here and I'm ordering a new data plate to replace the missing one on my 1608. My question is the dealer info, The dealer was Alvan T Fuller of Boston. Should it be listed as Packard Motor Car Co. of Boston or as Alvan T Fuller? My decal/ plate is missing so I don't have a reference point but am quite certain about the dealer. Thanks

Dave Czirr

Re: Data Plate 38 1608

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 am

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but in 1938, excluding Canadian production, Packard for one year only did not use a metal plate, but rather used a decal. If you were thinking about maintaining authenticity, new decals are available though I'm not aware if you can add delivery date and dealer info to the decal as you would to the metal plate. I have a friend with a huge collection of patent plates, I've just asked him to see how PMCC Boston was stamping theirs in the just prewar era and as soon as I get an answer I'll add it here. If you weren't aware of it, info on source for the decal below.
38 cowl decal.jpg
PS. Most Boston patent plates/decals of the era are stamped "PMCCO of Boston", a lesser number say "Packard Motor Car Co. Of Boston". None mention Alvan Fuller.

islandman

Re: Data Plate 38 1608

Post by islandman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks Dave,
I figured you would be the one with an answer. I have one of the vinyl labels but there doesn't appear to be any way to add the information to it. I think they were rubber stamped but I took it to a print shop and they said there was nothing that they could do with it. Still debating whether to go the Aluminum route or go with a blank Vinyl one. Thanks