1948 Super Eight convertible

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
fredrump

1948 Super Eight convertible

Post by fredrump » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 am

Hi, In December I acquired another nice looking Packard that was claimed to be in perfect condition except for the temp gauge. It had been converted to 12 volt and for all appearances looked perfect. Well, many of us know the appearances can fool you. On my first ride to make sure I had a tank full of gas, the car started steaming on me and I wound up having it towed back to my house. It seems to have been an attempt by the seller to alleviate the lack of a temp gauge with a so-called smart radiator cap which one couldn't read under the hood anyway. It caused water to go to the overflow and steam up the engine. I found the old cap in the trunk and the steaming then stopped. :-)

Trouble was the car would no longer start. It took me a while to get a mechanic to come look at the situation and he told me that the wiring was all screwed up with the starter somehow connected to the Carburator. I'm not into the mechanics of these cars. It's more a nostalgia thing for my youth. Anyway, he rewired everything and installed a pushbutton start on the dash while he was at it and the car starts instantly now. It shudders a bit until it warms up but he's looking at that now. I took a 20 mile ride without the hood on as a test and all was well. I have the radio out for modification to FM and general working condition. The vacuum for the antenna has been removed and I'll just leave that alone and manually raise it.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the serial number of the car is. The manufacturer's plate has been removed and the selling dealer put his own tag in its place late in 1947. No numbers though. The engine says G400536 and wound up to be the vin number. Is there a way to correlate the engine number to the car's serial number? When I check the car ID listing on this site I see nothing but 2232 for the 48/49 line of Super Eight convertibles but my other two are numbered 2279. What gives here? I suppose engine numbers were unique but are they somehow connectable to the cars they belonged to?
Fred
1948 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Maroon (2279 ?) G400536)
1949 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Black (2279-9-10199)
1949 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Sylvan Green (2279-9-11255)
1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Club Sedan in Red

Ozstatman

Re: 1948 Super Eight convertible

Post by Ozstatman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Engine Number G400536, according to the table on PackardInfo, is for a low number '48 327 Super Eight Engine. Tried to post a link here to the reference table but the file was too big. Instead here's a link http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... le.php?246 from which you can open up that file.

While 2232 is the Chassis Number for a 2279 or 2279-9 bodied Packard - see this link to the table on PackardInfo for 22nd Series Packards - http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... nSeries=Go

Doubt you'll be able to find a link between the Engine Number and the Serial Number of your Packard unless there's some paperwork with that detail or a previous owner can provide it.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Firstly, the starter should have been connected to the carburetor, that was an original feature, also shared by a few other makes. Properly adjusted, that system is very reliable.

Next, there is no correlation between a motor number and a vehicle number. Once the patent or vehicle number plate is missing, unless as mentioned by Mal that you can find the number from old documention or the former owner, your car will be an orphan and almost no chance to ever recover its identity. An extremely slim chance is that it might have been sold by a dealer whose records survive. I say slim because we only have records of less than a dozen dealers out of more than a thousand. I have most of those records, send me the theft-proof number and I'll check for you. Its a shame that there are folks foolish enough to remove the number plate.

Sorry to hear about the 12-volt conversion, most are botch jobs that lead to other problems and unless you intend to add air conditioning, there is no real benefit to the conversion.

2232 is the chassis type, 2279 is the model and body style, also the first half of the vehicle number.

fredrump

Post by fredrump » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks for the information and links. At least I know the difference between chassis number and body number now. The latter is more specific to the actual car. I can assume then that my Packard was the 500ths or so made for the 1948 model line. It was sold by Packard dealer (I forget his location at the moment but it's on the tag) in August of 1947. Packard pulled his franchise sometime in 1948 and he was left to sell used cars as all the local advertisements show. He was mainly a tire dealer. I still wonder why he pulled the Packard info to replace it with his own dealer name an sale date. He could just as easily have put his name next to the original label plate. Was he trying to hide something?

PS I wanted this info for the roster keeper.
1948 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Maroon (2279 ?) G400536)
1949 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Black (2279-9-10199)
1949 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Sylvan Green (2279-9-11255)
1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Club Sedan in Red