No VIN, unsure of previous title

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
abonk23

No VIN, unsure of previous title

Post by abonk23 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am

Hey guys,
So my uncle just purchased a 1940 packard super 8 160, but during this purchase he only received a bill of sale. He has given me the VN (8 digits) and also the chassis #. The problem is, it seems like I am unable to get a title for this vehicle because of all the missing information and this is worrying him because he has basically already finished restoration on the car. It seems like my only option is for him to purchase a surety bond title which could be quite pricey especially since he has already finished restoration and now the car value has greatly appreciated. Is there any other way for him to receive a title other than this route?

Bluedevil

Re: No VIN, unsure of previous title

Post by Bluedevil » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:51 am

Where do you live and where was the car purchased from?

A lot of states, like GA, don't have titles for cars that old and all you have is a bill of sale.

abonk23

Post by abonk23 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:58 am

illinois --> wisconsin transaction

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:48 am

Did this ever get resolved?

Is there no mechanism for re-registering a car for which there are no documents in your state?

In the UK there certainly is, with support from a relevant car club.

Please note that a car of that age will not have a modern style VIN. The numbers you have will be the relevant ID numbers. It might be worth speaking to the licensing authorities for advice on historic vehicles being brought back into use.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

classic car fan

Post by classic car fan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:28 pm

In California if I recall correctly vehicles 1955 and earlier were registered to the engine number.