VIN plate for 1932 Light Eight

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
dustr@me.com

VIN plate for 1932 Light Eight

Post by dustr@me.com » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:05 pm

I have a 32 shovel nose roadster. The vin plate looks too new to be trusted. If someone from this series of cars would send me a photo of an authentic plate, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Dave Czirr

Re: VIN plate for 1932 Light Eight

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:17 pm

I see you have chosen to not give us a location for yourself, if you are near Detroit there is a display at the Proving Grounds with samples of each patent plate. Alternatively there is a private publication with images of each and I could dig around for it, scan and post. But how about you posting a photo of yours, repro plates are usually very easy to spot by the font used for the VN.

The original plate for your car was made of brass, 4-1/2 x 3-1/4, with etched background. The text statement will reference 600 U. S. patents.

Packard's patent plates have been extensively researched and documented by Mr. Arthur (Jim) Balfour of Michigan. If you're a club member his contact info is in your club Directory and you might want to contact him if your posting a photo of it here still leaves unanswered questions.

dustr@me.com

Post by dustr@me.com » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks Dave. the car is located in FL, at my former home. I've recently moved permanently to NC.
IMG_4809.jpg
e32 vin plate???

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:36 am

Vehicle number stamping is not original (incorrect font), so it's not the original plate. I can't quite see enough detail in your photo to see if jt is a correct replica of the original, does the text cite "....600 U.S. Patents..."? Without the original you also really don't have complete assurance that it is the correct vehicle number either; best practice (but unfortunately rarely followed) is that if you must have a reproduction patent plate, maintain the original in position and fasten the reproduction over the original.

559 is the correct VN prefix for a 900 coupe roadster.

dustr@me.com

Post by dustr@me.com » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm

I' m going to remove this one, and see what might be under it. Thanks for the help. I'll also get a better pic when I'm next in FL, or the car makes it up here to NC.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 am

Another observation, your reproduction patent plate is finished with bright chromium plating, the originals used a low lustre nickel plating.