Packard Barn Find/ Serial Numbers

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
wallhangers

Packard Barn Find/ Serial Numbers

Post by wallhangers » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm new to Packards (just joined here), don't own one but found one stored away. It's probably an early fifty's car by what little bit I got to look at it and what I see on the Internet. By what I've researched, it looks like a data plate will tell me the year/model. Where on the car can I find the data plate? Owner of the car lives in another state and the person overlooking it may not allow me a lot of time to search for it. The car looks to be in great shape, been stored for years. I will try and attach pictures if possible. Thanks in advance. JP
Attachments
Wainio Packard 3.jpg
Wainio Packard inside 2.jpg

Dave Czirr

Re: Packard Barn Find/ Serial Numbers

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 am

Congratulations, and welcome.

From the photo it appears to be a 1951, subject to confirmation via the vehicle number. The plate with the vehicle number, paint and trim codes is located in the front of the driver's door opening (on the so-called A pillar). The vehicle number will be comprised of two sets of 4-digit numbers, for a 1951 the first set would begin 24XX, for a 1952 it would be 25XX, P A C K A R D in block letters across the lower front of the hood are a feature of the 1951 models. The second set of digits of the VN would further identify the car as to model and body style.

I'll be glad to provide more info when you provide the full vehicle number. You might also want to look for the motor number, (driver's side, rear, just below the cylinder head below the sensor for the temperature gauge) and the body serial number (large embossed 6-digit number beginning with an A just above the heater box on the cowl).

The AC is obviously a later, aftermarket addition to the car.

wallhangers

Post by wallhangers » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:57 am

Thank you for your help! Don't know if I can get in the building today or not. I will respond back when I get the numbers. JP

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 am

If you have an opportunity to take more photos of the AC compressor setup and overall install it would be appreciated. Packard had no bracket or drive provisions for AC until the factory trunk mounted unit was available on 53 models. It would be useful to find out how and what aftermarket vendors of the day did to add it onto that engine. AC installs were fairly rare so there is very little info available for those wanting to add AC today. Owners have been more or less left to go with their own ideas so a photo or two of a period install might help in not needing to reinvent so many pieces of the wheel.

wallhangers

Post by wallhangers » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:07 am

Ok, will do. I would assume it would be best to start another thread with a different heading. JP

wallhangers

Post by wallhangers » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:47 pm

Well I lucked out. Not only got into the building to check the numbers, they gave me a key! Here are the numbers: Serial/VIN number 2472 9138, Body number A74376, Engine number J408941 (was hard to read). So after getting a better look, it is a 1951 Packard Ultramatic , 6 cylinder, automatic, with 68779 miles. Thanks again with any help/info. JP

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:24 pm

One minor correction -- it is an inline 8 cylinder engine. Packard had no sixes in passenger cars after 47 -- and after that only available in the taxi and some export cars. The six engine was eliminated completely after the 48-9 22nd series models.

2472 is a 1951 model 300 sedan which was the mid range offering. J4xxxxx is the correct engine for the year so it most likely is the original 327 5 main used in that model. The top of the line 400 model would have been J6xxxxx which is a 327 9 main engine.

wallhangers

Post by wallhangers » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Thank you for the information AND the correction. JP