1950 Packard identification

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
zoltar

1950 Packard identification

Post by zoltar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm new to Packard's and new to this site. I am not finding nor do I have the big VIN plate that goes on the firewall. I do have other numbers including the title number a body number and engine number if somebody can tell me who might help me identify things I would appreciate it I do not want to post all those numbers here in public thanks so much

Howard56

Re: 1950 Packard identification

Post by Howard56 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:38 pm

The only place to find the official vehicle number is on the patent plate that should be screwed to the cowl in front of the driver. If that is missing but the Briggs tag is still on the engine side of the firewall -- a small roughly 1" high x 3" long tag screwed to the firewall a couple of inches below the upper flange it will also identify the model. I don't remember in a 50, if it is more toward the heater box or driver side of center. Because bodies did not necessarily go on the line as they were received from Briggs the first 4 digits starting 23xx will correctly identify the model but the last 4 or 5 digits is the sequence number and depending on when body entered the line those may be a few digits off from those assigned as the official number. The large embossed number on the firewall on the passenger side is the body ID number but unfortunately it is almost useless today because most of those records did not survive. If the car is known and info collected from a previous owner there is a very small chance Dave Czirr might have it in his database and possibly be able to identify the engine and vehicle number using that as a start.

The other important number is the engine number which is stamped on the drivers side of the block. Depending on the engine it may be on a smoothed pad just below the head in either the rear above the starter motor or more likely in that year, on a pad more in the center around the distributor. For a 23rd series the original engine would start Hxxxxxx with the H designating the 49-50 series production. The second digit would indicate the CID and block or engine. There was no standard registration in effect when the car was new so some states registered by engine number and others by vehicle number.

Depending on which numbers you have found on the papers or find in the car you might also go to www.packardinfo.com and plug an engine or Briggs number into the Packard Decoder to get some information. The decoder is found in the left menu on the home page.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm

The only engine number I found so far is on top of the head. Is there another number someplace I should be able to find? For the engine number

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:16 pm

So, I went outside and found the engine number it comes out to be a 327 engine, I know the engine was replaced in this vehicle so I guess that explains what's going on here with the title number.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:41 pm

The large raised number on the head is a casting number and not of much use because the casting might have been used for different heads. Actual part numbers were assigned after the casting was machined. There are also casting numbers and the date the casting was made on the lower front or back corners of the block. The date might be useful if there was a question on an engine being the original one in the car.

Here is an example of the stamped engine number and the probable locations on a 50 block. The stamping can be faint or covered with dirt and grease. If there is nothing found in the locations shown also look for a similar pad above the starter.
Attachments
stamp example.jpg
location.jpg

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 am

I did come up with the stamped engine number on the side of the engine it starts with h 410. I'll go back and look for the date this morning