Cheesy Gear shift knob and data plate

Queries about model and year identification, engine and vehicle numbers, etc.
Lee Davis

Cheesy Gear shift knob and data plate

Post by Lee Davis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:31 am

I recently bought a new '37 Packard 115c that has been restored. But it came with two very odd features... The gear shift knob is actually an old glass doorknob Yes, a doorknob. People must be hard up for correct shift knobs. I immediately removed it. I am a woodworker, and so I am going to make a new one out of walnut burl that will be an enormous improvement. I already have the 5/16-24 sleeve that will match the gear shift lever. The other thing is the data plate. It is from a 1938 car that was sold in Fond Du Lac, WI, (in correct stamping font) and the stamped date is 3 12 38. In very poor shape, I suppose they just wanted a data plate that showed 'Packard'. Since the vin number is the engine number, the number on the plate didn't matter. The 'Delivered By' was blank, so they scratched "motor car sales co" into the blank space... it is barely legible. Then they stamped a '7' over the '8', to conform to the correct year. Since McCumber Motor Company was the Packard dealer for Fond Du Lac, the scratched in name is quite ridiculous. Fortunately, neither of these cheesy things will stay.

Dave Czirr

Re: Cheesy Gear shift knob and data plate

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

US-built 1938 Packards did not have a metal patent plate, that year and only that year used a decal. So your patent or data plate is NOT from a Detroit-built 1938 Packard. The Ontario- built Packards did use a brass plate, but showed the car as a product of Canada. And of course as sold, the vehicle number on the plate would never be the motor number. How about a pix of the plate?

Lee Davis

Post by Lee Davis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm

Kinda makes this plate a very odd one, indeed. I am trying to post a picture but I guess I have to get permission from the administrator, since I am a newby. Lee Davis

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:01 pm

You shouldn't need permission, probably your file size is just too large. Try reducing the file size.

Lee Davis

Post by Lee Davis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm

OK... Here is the plate... The original date is 3 12 38, and it is overstamped with a 7
Attachments
pack 001.JPG

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Appears without doubt to be a genuine Packard plate of the style for the late 14th and all the 15th Series (late 1936, all of 1937). 1938 went to a decal and 1939 was a new style entirely.

The vehicle number stamping is in the correct font and size, without doubt original and it identifies the car as a 1937 model 115C business coupe.

The VN was stamped at the factory, the other info was stamped by the selling dealer using any method he desired; the factory offered a kit with the dealers name "en-bloc", and individual stamps for the date. Or a dealer could just use a commercial stamp kit, or scratch the data with a nail, or anything in between. And many were simply left blank except for the VN. The corrected date was probably done at the point of original sale.

Is your car a 1088 (115C business coupe)? If this plate is correct for your car, whatever you don't separate it from the car or the car will always thereafter be an orphan and suspect as to it's true origin though that would be more important on higher value models. I'd suggest if you mount a replica plate, keep the original mounted behind it.

Lee Davis

Post by Lee Davis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks... That clears a lot up for me. Lee
Attachments
Packard coupe.JPG

Lee Davis

Post by Lee Davis » Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am

I have made a new Gear Shift Knob out of walnut...
Attachments
knob 001.JPG