Sproat and Dunn

Discussion and questions about Packard dealers, distributors and factory branches.
GTO

Sproat and Dunn

Post by GTO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:38 am

Are there any existing pictures of the Sproat and Dunn Packard dealership in Hackensack, NJ ?

34PackardGuy

Re: Sproat and Dunn

Post by 34PackardGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 am

A photo of Sproat & Dunn would be a nice addition to the Dealership photos on the main website under "Showroom". For Bergen County, New Jersey I see they currently have photos of the dealerships in Tenafly, Rutherford, Ridgefield Park, and Hackensack (Rice Motors). Anyone got one for Sproat & Dunn (later Gatti Motors, representing Chrysler/Plymouth)?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am

GTO, in case you've not seen it, here's two pages from a PMCC brochure prepared for Packard owners going to the 1939 World's Fair. You'll see Sproat & Dunn listed and they were there until at least 1959 when I bought my first Packard. The location of another local one, Getchell Motors in Englewood, was later occupied by Kane Motors, an AMC dealership, and then later yet absorbed in the now huge, nearly block-long establishment of Benzel-Busch, the M-B dealership.
Attachments
Local Dealers 1939.JPG
Packard World Fair 39.JPG

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:27 am

huge, nearly block-long establishment of Benzel-Busch, the M-B dealership.[/quote]

Can I ask what may seem a bizarre question?

How long is a block? Is there a standard size? I have always wondered.

Happy to delete as this is off-topic.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:47 am

Everything you ever wanted to know about 'blocks' ... and more here.

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 am

An alternative definition, the far end of a block is further than I can spit, but not so far that I can't see a good-looking gal at the other end.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:03 am

JD in KC wrote:Everything you ever wanted to know about 'blocks' ... and more here.

Yep, that is everything I EVER wanted to know !! :D

Thanks JD.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 am

34PackardGuy wrote:An alternative definition, the far end of a block is further than I can spit, but not so far that I can't see a good-looking gal at the other end.

That`s a very precise measure. :D

Adam..

dmdelavan

Post by dmdelavan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm

My elders told me there were eight blocks to a mile which makes a block the same distance, I believe, as a furlong in horseracing.
Don Gutting

GTO

Post by GTO » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 am

I recently was given a new lead by a Hackensack police officer.He suggested I contact the city tax assesors office.He said they should be able to provide me with a picture of the building.I did that yesterday.They had no idea what I was talking about.They said they don't have pictures of any city properties.