Looking for Rice Motors pictures and dealership location(s)

Discussion and questions about Packard dealers, distributors and factory branches.
jamesdrice

Looking for Rice Motors pictures and dealership location(s)

Post by jamesdrice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am

I'm the grandson of Charles (Chas) I. Rice Sr. My name is Jim Rice at age 59 now. My grandfather is long gone, my father Russell as well and now I'm trying to piece together a part of my Grandfathers life. All I know is that my grandfather owned and operated Rice Motors in Hackensack, New Jersey; there may have been another location under a different name at a different time. I'm thinking he lost it all in the Depression?

Any pictures, ads, info etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jim

Dave Czirr

Re: Looking for Rice Motors pictures and dealership location

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am

Welcome! There are pictures of the Rice Motors dealerships in the "Showroom" section on the main website, though by quick look they are the same photos that are in the attached file. I live very close to Hackensack and have driven by the building hundreds of times - last I knew it was a skating rink but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I heard it was scheduled for demolition.

Here's a page on Charles Rice and his dealerships from Packard's internal newsletter the "Inner Circle" of August 1927 courtesy of noted Packard historian Jim Pearsall. Sorry I don't have the 2nd page but could probably get it from Mr. Pearsall who has a collection of the "Inner Circle" publication. The Hackensack building is at the very bottom; the building that was the Tenafly facility still stands, I don't know about the others.

Another possible piece to the story is the 2nd image below, this from a Packard brochure prepared in advance of the 1939 World's Fair in New York letting visitors know where they could get their Packards serviced. There is no mention of Rice Motors and the Hackensack dealership is now Sproat & Dunn on State Street - a facility that was still operating as a Packard dealership when I got my first Packard in 1957 - visited it a few times for parts but never took a photo (I was too poor at that time to even own a camera!). Shortly after that it became a Chrysler dealership, Gatti Motors, still on State Street.

Old dealerships is an area of significant interest to Packard folk, perhaps our roster keeper for dealerships will have more to add for you, and we'd love to have any more details you might have for us on Rice Motors!!

Dave
Attachments
ICAUG2~1.JPG
Local Dealers 1939.JPG

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 am

There is a little I can add;-- reference RICE Motors in Hackensack NJ. Appearently they last did business in 1931-- & not
showing any Packard dealer there in 1932. BY 1937 Sproat & Dunn, Inc had this territory, listed at 205-211 State st
in Hackensack. (same location?) Sproat continued until the last days of Packard & was still in business in 1955 accord-
ing to Packard records. I do not see any other dealers for this city either early --or --late. It appears that S & D were
a medium sized local dealer that survived WW2 and did pretty well in general. Both these dealerships were in the
PMCC of NY regional distributership.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 am

PackardAPL, thanks for the added information. Jim Pearsall did comment to me the other day that he is aware of a 745 touring that was delivered by Rice Motors so their being there thru 1930 is confirmed. The Rice Motors location in Hackensack was not the same address as the Sproat & Dunn facility, I should run over with the camera some day and take photos of the sites as they are now; photos of Sproat & Dunn have proved elusive, we've been to the Hackensack newspaper (The Record) archives looking for one but nothing was available, perhaps someday we'll run across one. Over the years I've owned 3 Packards delivered by Sproat & Dunn, a 1941 "120", a 1948 Custom 8 sedan, and a 1954 Patrician. Order for the 1941 attached just for interest.

UPDATE: The skating rink that was the former Rice Motors building in Hackensack NJ has been demolished to make way for an annex to Hackensack University Hospital. The former Sproat & Dunn facility, later Gatti Chrsyler/Plymouth, has been demolished and the Hackensack Fire Dept. has built on that site. I think I've located a photo of the former Rice Motors facility before it was demolished; if true I'll post it here later. If you're interested, check back in a week or so.
Attachments
41Sproat & Dunn.jpg

jamesdrice

Post by jamesdrice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 am

I want to thank all of you for helping to close the huge gap of my lack of knowledge. I guess the family never talked about it in later years because of the pain of losing it all. I will share this with all the family.

My father was not of driving age during those years, but would tell us about his older brother and sister taking the Packard's out on dates (rumble seats of course!).

I appreciate the response more than you'll ever know and look forward to that which may be out there yet to be discovered.

Sincerely,
Jim Rice

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 am

Hi James, we're glad the information helped fill in some blanks in your family history. I promised a photo if I could locate it and here it is - the former Rice Motors Hackensack dealership taken perhaps 6 or 8 years ago, after it's conversion from a roller rink to a commercial enterprise and before the fairly recent demolition; some of the features of the original building are quite unmistakeable; the location was 1st and Atlantic Avenues in Hackensack. The photo was taken by my friend and Packard (and Pierce-Arrow) owner George Lewer who took it after meeing a "Rob" Rice, perhaps of Rochelle Park NJ, and also a Russell II and Russell III. As George remembers it, they were with Rob and enroute to a Giants NFL game in the Meadowlands when the encountered each other, George providing a ride to the brothers in his 38 Packard.

Who knows if more info will surface or not, check back from time to time.
Dave

UPDATE: Here's a photo of the 7-45 sold by Rice Motors in Hackensack, photo courtesy of James Pearsall.
Attachments
Rice Motors, Hackensack, former.JPG
7-45 sold by Rice Motors, Hackensack NJ.jpg

jamesdrice

Post by jamesdrice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the picture. I'd like to see what pg two of the interview has to say.
Those dogs never told me about the contact. That's my older brother Russ, and his son Russel III and my youngest brother Rob.

Jim

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:06 am

I just received this image courtesy of Jim Pearsall. It's from the Inner Circle dated July 26, 1924 and captioned "Charles Rice and the Tenafly Gang".
Attachments
Charles Rice and gang Inner Circle 1924.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:07 am

Some new photos just received of the various Rice facilities in Bergen County, NJ, these photo courtesy of the Rice family.
Attachments
Rice 1 2018.jpg
Rice 2 2018.jpg
Rice 3 2018.jpg
Rice 4 2018.jpg