Earle C. Anthony

Discussion and questions about Packard dealers, distributors and factory branches.
charlieshot

Earle C. Anthony

Post by charlieshot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Hello
I have finally started to work on my Packard. in cleaning out the trunk I found a license plate frame from Earle C. Anthony in L.A. Does anyone have info about
the specific cars he sold? I have a 1953 Patrician w/ factory a/c vin # is 2652-8299, anti theft # is <c30562> trim code is #802 It would be really nice to know where this car was sold and some history of it. any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Charlie.

Leeedy

Re: Earle C. Anthony

Post by Leeedy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:01 pm

The Earle C. Anthony Los Angeles dealership where your car would have been sold (new) was at 1000 South Hope Street. That location today is occupied by new condos known as "Packard Lofts" at the corner of Hope and Olympic.

There is ample history of Earle C. Anthony both on this site as well as in several articles in the Packard Club's glossy magazine, The Packard Cormorant. You can even purchase back issues online now.

charlieshot

Post by charlieshot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:22 pm

thanks Leeedy, I will try to locate that info following your suggestion
Charlie

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

Earle C. Anthony's Los Angeles dealership (he had several) was one of the most beautiful car dealerships ever. And it was so huge that it could accommodate up to 25 full-sized new cars on display.

Mr. Anthony was responsible for a number of firsts and breakthrough developments such as bringing successfully commercial neon to the USA, starting what later became Chevron gas stations and more. Mr. Anthony was a member of the Packard Motor Car Company Board of Directors as well as southwest distributor for Packard. He also founded KFI radio–which still exists today.

Stuart Blond (editor of The Packard Cormorant magazine) wrote a very excellent history of Earle C. Anthony that was published several years ago in two parts. If you check, the TPC issues with that history may still be available as back issues and they would be fascinating reading for you.