North Hollywood Motors, Los Angeles, CA

Discussion and questions about Packard dealers, distributors and factory branches.
gr8scottw

North Hollywood Motors, Los Angeles, CA

Post by gr8scottw » Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 am

I'm looking for information on North Hollywood Motors in Los Angeles, CA.

Does anyone know anything about this dealership? My car was supposedly purchased there in 1946 by silent film star Dorothy Gish. I'm trying to prove it (always the tough part). Does anyone know if sales records still exist, or know someone I can contact?

Thanks,
Scott White

Dave Czirr

Re: North Hollywood Motors, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 06, 2016 8:27 am

The only record I have is for dealership located in North Hollywood, but not doing business under that name. The dealership was Strauss Soulier Company, 11128 Magnolia Ave, North Hollywood and the date of that information is 1939 so it's possible they were either purchased or changed corporate name. The chances for dealership records surviving is slim to none, your chances of finding documentation is probably better with surviving Gish records.

Good luck pursuing the back history of the car, it's worth the effort if you are successful. I'm very fortunate that both my Packards were purchased from the original owners and knowing that adds a bit to the experience, though in my case not to the value as is it were owned by a "personality".

chpackard

Post by chpackard » Sun May 08, 2016 6:36 pm

A little off topic, but it looks like the original 1939-era building is still there:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/11128 ... 4213?hl=en

Charles

gr8scottw

Post by gr8scottw » Mon May 09, 2016 7:15 am

I think it was an independent dealer back then... I have found references to it being a Studebaker dealer in the early 50's...

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 09, 2016 7:33 am

I have found references to it being a Studebaker dealer in the early 50's...
Being that Studebaker-Packard Corp was formed in the early '50s when Packard essentially purchased Studebaker and dealerships sold both brands, that would not be unexpected.