Info on Renovated Baton Rouge Dealership

Discussion and questions about Packard dealers, distributors and factory branches.
AlexMajor

Info on Renovated Baton Rouge Dealership

Post by AlexMajor » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:31 am

Hello,

I have recently purchased and renovated an old Packard dealership and am trying to find any information/photos I can on the building. The building is located at 655 Scenic Highway in Baton Rouge, LA. The building was built in the late 1920s (1928, I believe.) In 1963, the building became the Northside Motor Exchange where it built and replaced engines, but I'd love it if anyone could share ANY information, pictures, or just point me in a direction where I can find out more about the building before the 1960s. I currently have almost no information on the original building, other than the occasional old folks who stop by and tell me about the several dealerships that used to be in the area. Thanks in advance, and if you'd like to see current pictures including some of the work I had to do on the building, you can check out themotorexchangebr.com.

-Alex

Dave Czirr

Re: Info on Renovated Baton Rouge Dealership

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi Alex: Sorry I can't be of much help here, all I can advise is that no Packard dealership is listed in Baton Rouge at that address in 1939 which is the date of the only dealer listing I have. The 1939 listing gives Willie N. Knox, Inc., 140 Lafayette Street, Baton Rouge as the only dealer in that city. I'm not so sure just where to recommend you go for more information, The Packard Club did at one time have a very active roster keeper for dealership information but he has passed away and apparently no successor as yet.

Let the ride decide

Post by Let the ride decide » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:46 am

Alex,
Does the Baton Rouge Library have any old phone books?
Look for the old yellow pages, you might get lucky and find a photo of your building advertising the business in it.
Try the local newspaper as well. Did the newspaper donate their documents to a university or library?

AlexMajor

Post by AlexMajor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Let the ride decide wrote:Alex,
Does the Baton Rouge Library have any old phone books?
Look for the old yellow pages, you might get lucky and find a photo of your building advertising the business in it.
Try the local newspaper as well. Did the newspaper donate their documents to a university or library?
I'll give the yellow pages a try, and maybe I'll get lucky. You're not the first person to mention going to the university archives (LSU) to find more information. So I'll try that and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!