The next issue of The Packard Cormorant magazine...

Packard coverage in books, magazines, and other media. Also queries on owner's, parts and service manuals, service letters and counselors, and other PMCC publications. Limited excerpts from PAC publications.
Steve_Mack_CT

Re: The next issue of The Packard Cormorant magazine...

Post by Steve_Mack_CT » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:06 am

Nice job on the latest Cormorant, I just posted some comments in the general section of the forum and saw this, and probably should have posted here, but wanted to say thanks and great job! (and I am still not yet done with all of the articles!)

Steve

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Steve, many thanks for your comments. The next issue (Winter 2011) should "hit the streets" by the end of the year.

The 2012 issues are shaping up to be jam-packed with great articles. Details later.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

The first issue of 2012 has been completed, and includes the following articles:

"Queen For A Day", by Chris T. Nuno, all about the first postwar Custom Eight convertible sold in Los Angeles, and its role at the 1947 USC / Notre Dame football game.

"Packard People: Michael J. Kollins", by Richard Kollins, all about Mr. Kollins' career at Packard.

"The Packard Owner’s Manual, part 1, from 1906 to 1931", by Robert J. Neal, all about... what else? Photographs of every Packard owner's manual from 1906 to 1931 will be published.

"A Look Back, and a New Beginning", by Richard Roache, all about his 1953 Clipper Sportster.

"Reflections at Fifty Years, The Cormorant from 1962 to 1975 and The Packard Cormorant from 1975 to date", by Bud Juneau. The complete history of PAC's landmark magazine.

"Glove Box Tales", by the editor, All about what could be found in the glove box of a 1952 “200” sold in East Orange, New Jersey.

The issue is now being proofed, and should be in the mail to all PAC members by early March.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 am

The Second Quarter issue of 2012 is in progress, and will feature the following article:

“Last of the Rugged Individualists” by Brodie Herndon. The story of Mr. Herndon’s father and the 1929 Packard Radio Test Car he was assigned when he worked for the FCC.

“The Packard Owner’s Manual, Part 2, from 1932 to 1958” by Robert J. Neal. Photographs of every Packard owner's manual from 1932 to 1958 will be published.

“Dream Car - My 1935 120 Business Coupe” by Dave Cary.

“Restoring My Dream Car - My 1936 120-B Convertible Coupe” by Martin F. McNamara III.

“The Third Great Packard I.D. Contest” It’s been 26 years since “The Packard Cormorant” featured a photo quiz, so it’s about time we had one. Nifty prizes are being offered. The photographs come from the Editor’s collection, and others.

The issue should be mailed to PAC members by mid-June.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 pm

The 3rd Quarter issue of THE PACKARD CORMORANT magazine is now at the printer. Here's a sneak preview:

"Atlantic City, 1934" by James Pearsall -- featuring several period photos of Packards on display.

"Car Snatched" courtesy of Bob Zimmerman -- the story of a Packard grabbed from the assembly line and sent to the Proving Grounds to be tested.

"My Dad’s Packards" by Bill Beck -- the story of the 1940 and 1956 Packards in the Beck family.

"A Tribute to Dutch Darrin by Earl Rubenstein -- the 2011 Palos Verdes, California show devoted to Dutch's cars, Packard and otherwise.

"Ask The Man Who Owns The Only One" by Mike Ames -- the story of the only Darrin-produced 1940 Sport Sedan.

"The Story of Half-a-Clipper by Robert B. Jacko -- the story of a (slightly) modified 1947 Clipper.

"My Packard Story" by Tom Beaubien -- Tom worked at Packard in the 1950s, and managed to save some remarkable material.

"Two Book Reviews" -- "Packard Automobiles 1920-1958 compiled by R.M. Clarke" and "Packard 1948 to 1950 by Robert J. Neal.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

The 2nd Quarter 2013 issue of The Packard Cormorant is just about done, and should be off to the proofreaders by this time next week.

The theme of the issue is "Packards Unusual" and will feature four articles:

"What’s In A Name?" A variety of “Non-Packard” Packards such as shoes, organs, tires and batteries manufactured by "other" companies named "Packard", as well as the 1913 calendar issued by Packard Electric of Warren, Ohio.

"The Real Story of Packard Bicycles" by Leon Dixon. A history of the nine companies that made them.

"Little Packards." A collection of Packard models, from the collection of Rich Luckin.

"Class by Association" Advertisements that featured Packard motor cars such as General Tire, Federal-Mogul, Quaker State Oil, Sinclair Oil, Budd Wheel Co., and Air Express.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

The 3rd Quarter 2013 issue is now well under way, and here are the articles that you will soon be reading:

“1956 Company Cars in Detroit -- Employment Had Its Privileges.” A look at a report compiled for James J. Nance, listing every single company car in Detroit during mid-1956, Packard, Clipper and Studebaker. This list came from the James J. Nance Collection at Cleveland State University.

“History As It Should Have Been --- Packard’s Alternate History, 1946 to 1956.” Robert J. Neal looks back on what went wrong with Packard, both in terms of the company and the cars they were building starting in 1946, and he fixes it! See what could have (and maybe should have) happened over the next ten years.

“Fifty Years On --- My Half-Century with a 1934 Packard Eight.” David L. Czirr purchased an old car 50 years ago, and he tells how it changed his life.

“A Rare Bird --- The Restoration of My 1939 Six.” Ken McCollum’s restoration took but two years, and he tells the tale.

“Pasadena’s Pan American --- What Millions Saw on January 1, 1953.” Leon Dixon introduces us to some rare photos of various Packards along the route of the 1953 Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, California, including the very first Pan American.

All these articles, plus the usual goodies, will be found in the next issue of TPC, coming soon to a mailbox near you!

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:12 pm

The 4th Quarter 2013 issue of The Packard Cormorant is now at the printer -- here are the articles that you will soon be reading:

= "The Real Story of The First Neon Signs In America" by Leon Dixon. Of course they were "Packard" signs, from the 1920s.

= "The Long Return Home - Our 840 Comes Home to 'Southwood'” by Mark Smucker. Mark traces the history of his 1931 840, and the history of the original owners.

= "Great Collections - The National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio" The site of many activities during the 2014 PAC National Meet is given the once-over.

= Packard Potpourri - Miscellaneous and Diverse Items" from the collections of Robert Bliss, Packards International and the editor are displayed.

The issue should "hit the streets" in a month or so.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 pm

The First Quarter issue for 2014 is well under way; here’s a preview of what you will be reading in a few months:

“Reflections on Philadelphia” by Dave Jenkins. A first person story from a man who started at the Philadelphia distributorship in 1939.

“My Father’s Philadelphia Story, and a little about my own” by Allan Denning. Allan’s father started working at the Philadelphia distributorship in 1911, and stayed until 1957. Allan started helping his father from time-to-time from the 1940s until 1956 (and even drove the Predictor when it was put on display!)

“Just Among Ourselves” and “Living Up to a Great Principle” both originally published in The Packard magazine of June 1913.

“A Message on Service” and “The Annual Post-Show” both originally published in The Packard Magazine of Winter 1928.

“Coast to Coast on the Lincoln Highway. From New York City to San Francisco in a 1954 Patrician” by Jerome Avenson.

“When They Were Used Cars” by John Hempel. Some old-time photos from the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

The 2nd Quarter 2014 issue of The Packard Cormorant is nearly finished, and will feature the following articles:

The History of the Silvester Motor Company, by Mark Silvester, with an introduction by Ken Chapman. Originally published on the PAC website in 2012, Mark tells about his family's dealership in Princeton, New Jersey which sold over the years Durants, Buicks, Packards, Jaguars and more.

High Style at a Low Price, by David W. Temple. The story about Nelson Bates' 1940 110 coupe.

My Dream Car, by Marshall Katz. The story about Marshall's 1940 Custom Super-8 One-Eighty Limousine.

Destined to Survive, Royle D. Kent's 1940 120 convertible.

The “Picture Packard” Contest of 1940. With photographs provided by John A. Conde, Earl Rubenstein and Eugene Tareshawty.