Packards of 1948 to 1950

Packard coverage in books, magazines, and other media. Also queries on owner's, parts and service manuals, service letters and counselors, and other PMCC publications. Limited excerpts from PAC publications.
Robert Neal

Packards of 1948 to 1950

Post by Robert Neal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:58 pm

I have been asked by a number of people to be sure and let the Packard Club enthusiasts know when the book on the "Bathtub" (OK mom, get out the bar of lye-soap and wash my mouth out) Packards came out. This one is a bit faster than my sometimes 5 years, I made it in four. By the time you probably read this, the publisher will have books on the way to me. You can watch for ads which will start appearing shortly, but if you particularly want an autographed copy you must order it from me. 100 copies will come to me for this purpose. As of today about 40 of these are already committed.

I will have to say this has really been a fun project. I have always been fond of these car, having learned to drive in 1949 in my dad's 22nd Series Deluxe Eight fast-back. I put a lot of research into this book and learned a great deal while doing it. I hope I have managed to answer most of the questions posed about these cars over the years. Below is a nutshell description from pending ads. Packard 1948 to 1950, by Robert J. Neal. This is the complete history of the design, production and marketing of these Packards. About four years were involved in research and writing. A great deal of new Packard material was uncovered, answering questions posed about these cars over the decades, including re-numbering. A massive new roster was created, updating production estimates of the 1949 22nd Series and the 1949 23rd Series. A first class hard cover book printed on high quality paper, lavishly illustrated. The absolute best buy in a Packard book in years. 8 ½ by 11 format, 300 pages, 16 chapters, 479 B&W and 205 color illustrations. $55, plus $5 shipping. (Overseas $25 shipping)

I guess one could wonder how someone could find enought to say about just two Series of Packards to fill a 300 page book when a ten-page article is about the most that has been printed in one place prior to this. Believe me it was not difficult. I enjoyed it and I think you will too.

RJNeal0000@aol.com

genehouse

Re: Packards of 1948 to 1950

Post by genehouse » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Robert,
I'm very much looking forward to my copy and want to thank you here publicly for doing this work. As I mentioned in my e-mail to you, a copy will go with the car when I eventually have to pass guardianship on to the next person (many years from now I hope). I, for one, fell in love with this style Packard when I first saw it. I think I'll only ever be able to afford two of these fine cars but the 150 Deluxe I have will be my first. The second, as many on this Forum know, is a 1939 Senior that I'm still waiting to pick up. The owner has now found all of the parts for the engine except the connecting rods so we are getting close!

Thanks again Robert,

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 am

I received my copy of Robert's book yesterday and have had a hard time putting it down. Thus far it's everything I had hoped for, and more.
Attachments
Packard 1948 - 1950, R. J. Neal.jpg

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:16 am

I also received mine yesterday and it lies in front of me now. It is an excellent testament to Robert's investigative and writing skills. It is, indeed, a hard book to put down and I'm sure I'll spend many more evenings with it getting to know the history of my "bathtub" Packard a little better. I ordered two because I plan to keep one and the other, still in the shipping box, will remain in the car for the next caretaker. Hopefully that will be many years in the future.

Thanks again Robert for a job well done, Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:09 am

Ordering information, image courtesy of PAC's Cormorant News Bulletin.
Dwight requests payment by check, no credit card sales.
Attachments
CNB Dec 2011.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 am

I've now finished reading Robert Neal's book for the first time and am going back to re-read some sections again. It's a major contribution to the understanding of these cars and the circumstances that lead to them (a busy a tumultous time in Packard's history) and lays an understanding for what followed. Just a fine book indeed, should be in every Packard lover's bookcase.

John Harley

Post by John Harley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Friends

i received my copy a few days ago. I was a long time owner of one of these cars until recently and have eagerly awaited its arrival for some time. Although perhaps more limited in scope than some of Mr. Neal's previous books. it is up to his usual impeccable standards of research and writing. It is very well illustrated.

The immediate postwar period was a critical period for Packard and the rest of the independents. Paradoxically the post MacCauley management of PMCC found this a much more difficult time than managing the ravages of the Depression. Mr Neal has found many internal documents that record the decisions and consequences that resulted. The cars in question are fine automobiles, but the public wanted something different and some people in charge weren't sensitive to the market.

The array of models, options, and changes are also well covered.

This is will remain the definitive book about this period in the Packard story for us. It is a labor of love and a unique effort. The time to acquire a copy is sooner rather than later as I suspect the supply , like the supply of our favorite cars, is limited

Regards

John Harley

Fourpack

Post by Fourpack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:01 pm

We have been waiting for this book for a long time and it was sure worth waiting for! The 22nd and 23rd Series cars have been looked down upon, even maligned, for far too long. There has been a trend of improvement in recent years in the way people think about "bathtubs", however, and this book is sure to reinforce that trend. So well written, so well researched. so interesting!

And thanks Robert, for replacing the copy the Swedish post office managed fold in half before delivering the copy I sent to a friend whose car is pictured in the book.

Ole Böök

N.C.23rdPackard

Post by N.C.23rdPackard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 pm

I HAVE to have one!

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 am

N.C.23rdPackard wrote:I HAVE to have one!
It's worth every penny. Just about everything you would want to know about your bathtub... even if it doesn't have points.