Special SECTION in Detroit Free Press on the Packard Plant

Packard coverage in books, magazines, and other media. Also queries on owner's, parts and service manuals, service letters and counselors, and other PMCC publications. Limited excerpts from PAC publications.
Leeedy

Special SECTION in Detroit Free Press on the Packard Plant

Post by Leeedy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Since no one else has mentioned it, on December 2, 2012 the Detroit Free Press devoted an entire section to the ongoing issue of what to do with (or about) the Packard Plant. I have also seen some of the Freep articles online, but I suppose if you are that interested, you can look them up online.

Of course, as with Detroit of present times, the usual detached kinda talk. Some of it downright silly (let's make it into a recreation center...WHY–when the city can't even operate the many rec centers that already exist–also in severe neglect!). The title of the section is "The Packard Plant... Big. Ugly. Dangerous." Nary a kind word about either Packard or the poor plant that people once came to see from all over the world. Odd too since the condition of the plant today has actually been rather fast in occurring... and is the way it is because the city and whomever was involved with the property ALLOWED this damage to happen–whatever the silly excuses. This property operated with rental tenants for many, many years after Packard closed and it was nothing–repeat–NOTHING like it has become only in the past 20 years or so. The city allowed this to happen. I grew up in Detroit. I watched it happen. The most bizarre part is the way young people see this all as some kind of detached sci-fi/movie/photo/art thing. And the huge TREES now actually growing on the roof! Whenever I visit the city I try to avoid going near this place... because if you saw it as I did in the days when Packard was building cars there, it wouldn't just make you sad. It's enough to make you BAWL!
Last edited by Leeedy on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RawdynAU

Re: Special SECTION in Detroit Free Press on the Packard Pla

Post by RawdynAU » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 am

Very sad.

Some telling pics then and now.
Hover your mouse across the pics to switch from old pic to new pic.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121202/NEWS01/120823062

Adam

Re: Special SECTION in Detroit Free Press on the Packard Pla

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 am

What a fascinating set of photos.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.