Babs - the racer

Packard coverage in books, magazines, and other media. Also queries on owner's, parts and service manuals, service letters and counselors, and other PMCC publications. Limited excerpts from PAC publications.
Dave Czirr

Babs - the racer

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 am

I doubt too many of us can remember a pair of articles in The Packard Cormorant issue of Summer 1976, The Day They Dug Up Babs, & Thomas, Parry....and the Liberty Named Babs; two articles about the Packard Liberty engine-powered racer of fame and John Parry-Thomas' attempt to regain the land speed record from Sir Malcolm Campbell. I haven't heard a word about Babs since then until this article surfaced in today's New York Times Automobiles Section. The article on digging up the remains of Babs was a reprint from a Saturday Evening Post article by famed auto write Ken Purdy, and the photo was courtesy of Road and Track, 1969. The author of the 2nd article was none other than Richard Langworth.

I don't know if the Summer 1976 issue is still available as a back issue, but if anyone has a particularly keen interest I'd consider making copies of mailing. Send me a PM with your mailing address if interested further.
Attachments
Babs NYTimes.jpg

John Harley

Re: Babs - the racer

Post by John Harley » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Dave

The Retromobile is covered in theoldmotor.com, a website I highly recommend to this readership.

Several days ago there was a post about the restoration of the Buebird. Apparently it threw a rod the last time it was out , about 20 years ago, and putting the engine back together was not a trival task. There are a few videos on youtube covering the first start after rebuild. Some have more information, but this one gives the best view of the starting technique. As I have noted before, the muscle car/rod crowd are wimps compared to some of the enthusiasts of earlier cars with truly large engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSlCyv55GU

Regards

John Harley

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 am

Hi Dave & John

Thanks for sharing these. I have actually seen Babs in action. It is brought out from time to time for events.

Being a memeber of the Vintage Sports Car Club over here, gives the opportunity to see a number of the aero-engineerd racing cars exercised regularly. They are just incredible.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 am

Babs - the recovery.
Attachments
Babs recovery.jpg
Babs recovery 2.jpg