A good book.

Packard coverage in books, magazines, and other media. Also queries on owner's, parts and service manuals, service letters and counselors, and other PMCC publications. Limited excerpts from PAC publications.
doning

A good book.

Post by doning » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:10 am

Hi all! What is the best book to buy on Packards detailing the specs on engines, transmissions and rear end ratio's, options, etc? I'm mostly interested in the Jr. Packards. I have the book "The Packard Story" but it doesn't contain everything I'd like to know. I'm hoping someday to buy one and trying to do much research as I can so I know what I'm looking at. Thanks again Guy's!

ChuckP

Re: A good book.

Post by ChuckP » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:28 am

As a referance and allround source of information on Packards I recommend "Packard: A History of the Motor Car and the Company" by Beverly Rae Kimes. It is available from vendors on this web site or, perhaps at amazon.

doning

Post by doning » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks ChunkP! I ordered one and it's on the way!

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am

donning, agree with Chuck P (howdy Chuck), it is a great book. I use it all the time for reference, and just plain reading pleasure. You can read it cover to cover, or just concentrate on a particular area of interest. One point should be made: the book was edited by Kimes, the content is the work of many writers, expert in their areas. This makes the book different than most others about Packard as it reflects the views of many writers, not just those of one author. The Packard Story by Bob Turnquist is another excellent book about Packard. He concentrates on the per-war cars (1899-1942). His specification tables are said to be the most accurate as he obtained these data from factory records. I have this book too. Get them both.

(o{I}o)

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

I fully agree with Chuck & JWL, both the Kimes-edited book and Turnquist's book are great Packard books. But you said in your first post you were interested in mechanical specifications and the like. You'll not find a lot of that in these books; for that info you really want the shop manuals and especially the Service Letters and Service Counselors for each year of interest as they have the most detail of this type. Generally the first Service Letter or Service Counselor of each year had a fairly complete listing of mechanical specifications. Old Motors Manuals are also good for details such as generator and starter numbers, bore-stroke, bearing diameters and clearances, valve lash, etc. In short, to find the kind of information I think you're looking for, you'll need more than just two books referenced, though they are are great start.

kens53clip

Post by kens53clip » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 am

I agree that Turnquist's book and the Kimes book are both excellent. I also like Nathaniel Dawes' The Packard 1942-1962. It covers the postwar models much more thoroughly than Turnquist's book and has some differences from the Kimes' book. Only problem is the Dawes book is no longer in print so you will have to find it used on eBay or Amazon or some other place selling used books. I have all three and like them all. Each has something special to offer.
kens53clip
Ken
kens53clip
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe 4 dr. sedan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am

And the appendeces in the Dawes book are very useful references.

doning

Post by doning » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:03 am

Thanks for your help guy's!