1928 533 seven passenger

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Adam

1928 533 seven passenger

Post by Adam » Fri May 18, 2012 4:19 am

Hello all

This is the Project Blog for the engine rebuild of my 1928 533 seven passenger limousine. I will be returning to add new info from time to time, but as forum regulars will, know, I tend to be playing around with several projects at once, so progress on the Packard is likely to be glacial at first. Please bear with me.

I will add some of the history of the car here too. For the moment, here are some photos of the pre-operative patient. (Thank you to Dave C for kindly resizing them).
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Re: 1928 533 seven passenger

Post by Adam » Fri May 18, 2012 4:27 am

Here are some pictures of the faded lady. No prizes for spotting that the float bowl lid is removed in the first picture, I had trouble with a leaking (sinking) float until I had a new one made locally.
Attachments
DSCF0670 sm.jpg
DSCF0671 sm.jpg
DSCF0648 sm.jpg
DSCF0649 sm.jpg
Last edited by Adam on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 am

A little bit of history

The car was supplied by WC Gaunt & Co of Piccadilly, London (the Packard UK Concessionaires) on the 12th May 1928 and registered as FP 1972. This is a Rutland county registration (the smallest county in the UK) and therefore indicates where the car first lived. In fact the Leicestershire County records Office reveals that the car was registered to Janet Noel JP, who lived in Oakham, the county seat of Rutland (and around 20 miles from my home). Janet Noel was the second wife of Captain Henry Cecil Noel JP (JP incidently, is short for Justice of the Peace). Capt Noel, who formerly served with the King`s 7th Hussars, was a wealthy gentleman, who employed a chauffeur. The Packard, which is in 7 passenger limo spec, was thus driven and cared for by the chauffeur. Henry Cecil Noel was the younger brother of Anthony Edward Gerard Noel, the 5th Earl of Gainsborough and nephew (through his mother) of Hugh Cecil Lowther, the 5th Earl of Lonsdale. The Gainsboroughs were major landowners in Rutland, as was Lowther, sometime master of the Quorn and the Cottesmore Hunts. Janet Noel was herself descended from nobility and her family connections can be traced back as far as King Charles II. Henry and Janet lived at Catmose House, Oakham, Rutland. The house, a 17th century manor, still exists and is currently used as the county offices.

On the death of Henry Noel, in August 1931, his estate was broken up and the chauffeur, whose name was Howell Thomas Crawshaw, was, as the story goes, bequeathed "the smallest car in the garage", which was the Packard. I wonder what the other cars were?

Crawshaw established a garage business at a place called Byard`s Leap in Lincolnshire (about 25 miles from my home). The Packard was used as a taxi within the business and ferried air cadets to and from nearby RAF Cranwell (Where Prince William, the present Duke of Cambridge, graduated as a pilot a few years ago). This meant that the Packard continued to work on essential business throughout the second world war, when most cars were laid up because of petrol rationing. For a nice piece of old Lincolnshire folklore about Byard`s Leap, see here:- http://ghostsandfolklore.blogspot.co.uk ... -leap.html

After Crawshaw`s death, my father purchased the Packard from his widow, in 1971. Therefore becoming the third owner of the car. He operated a sideline business in wedding hire and the Packard has carried literally hundreds of nervous brides to church. Unfortunately, as the engine became more tired and started to breath smelly oil fumes, the car was used less and less and is now awaiting refurbishment, although it still runs and drives.

I inherited the car from my father about 10 years ago and am therefore the fourth owner. Although it occurs to me that approximately half of her 84 year life has been in my family. I was only 4 years old when the Packard arrived and I have no recollection of a time when it was not in the shed. It is one of my favourite cars to drive with a wonderfully smooth clutch operation and a very slow "crash change" from the sliding mesh gearbox. It is always possible to make silent shifts, but never rapid ones. The old Packard always determines her own pace. I used to own a 1937 25/30 hp Rolls Royce, which was a far less confidence inspiring drive.

If I manage to find out further details of the cars history, I will amend the story here.
Last edited by Adam on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Wed May 23, 2012 6:16 am

Adam, that is just a wonderful story. How very fortunate you are to have all that history to your car.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 am

Dear reader

By way of bringing this thread back to the top, I have discovered from the Leicestershire County Records Office, the details of the original owner of my car. Please re-read the passage above.

Adam..
Last edited by Adam on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 am

You may be interested that I have now found out some solid facts about the first owners of my car and how the families can be traced back through history (in Janet Noel`s case, to King Charles II). However, I have amended the history passage above, so please re-read yet again. Hopefully this covers for the fact that I have made zero progress on the engine rebuild !!

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am

To atone for the lack of progress with this project, I thought i would post some more pictures of what is a very original 533, beginning with some views of the interior. Thank you to Dave C for resizing the pics.

Adam..
Adam 1.JPG
Adam 2.JPG
Adam 3.JPG
Adam 4.jpg

Don R's Cars

Post by Don R's Cars » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 am

Adam, that is a beautiful original car. I was interested in the triangular radiator emblem, I have never before seen a Packard emblem like that. Was that used on all such 28s or is that unique to cars sold in England?
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 am

Hello Don

If you double click on the thumbnail picture, you get a full-screen sized image. At least you do on my computer! With that, you can probably make out the words "Packard London"on the badge. I have always assumed that the badges were made for the UK concessionaires (a very old fashioned word), who were W.C Gaunt & co, based in Piccadilly, London. The building is still there, but it is a shopping street now.

The motometer also has an image of a biplane and the Packard radiator shape. I am not sure if that was widely used, but I have never seen another of the pair of wings that form the radiator mascot. Does anyone know different?

Adam..
Last edited by Adam on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

vukelic

Post by vukelic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:40 am

Adam,

This is very interesting, as are all documentations this complete about Packards. Your frequent posts about "all things Packard" are appreciated. Hope you continue to do so. The car (unrestored/ original) looks great as is. I'll be anxious to see where the project goes from here.

Steve Wukelich in Montana