1928 533 seven passenger

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Adam

Re: 1928 533 seven passenger

Post by Adam » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:24 am

Thanks for noticing that! I have observed that other 1928 cars I have seen have the retracting belt type shock absorber. My car has those on the rear, but the Andre Hartford type that you see on the front. I am unclear as to whether this was a conversion for UK spec cars, or (which I expect more likely) an after-market conversion.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:40 pm

I finally managed to finish covering the trunk that we made for the Packard. I am quite pleased with the result. Hope you agree.
trunk2.JPG
Trunk pic 6.JPG
Trunk pic 7.JPG
Trunk pic 8.JPG
Attachments
trunk pic 4.JPG
Last edited by Adam on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:05 pm

It's terrific Adam, a nice bit of workmanship.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:49 am

Adam,
Nice car and a nice job on the trunk. When the storage compartment in the back of the car is actually a “trunk”, do the British still refer to it as a “boot” or is it just a trunk? I’ve been watching “Wheeler Dealers” here on TV and have picked up on a lot of new auto lingo.

Joe
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:22 am

Haha, yes it is a whole different language! A trunk like this is probably called a trunk, but the built-in luggage compartment is certainly the boot.

But then a fender is a wing, a hood is a bonnet and a top is a hood!! That is without getting into the technical stuff like half-shafts, drive shafts and propellor shafts. Perhaps we should draw up a phrase book!

I haven`t watched Wheeler Dealers myself, but friends have told me about it. I must have a look sometime.

Anyway thanks for the compliments.

Adam..

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:50 am

The old Packard was on parade again yesterday for the annual visit by Year 2 of the local Primary School (6 year olds). They have been learning about transport as a topic, and we can make a nice comparison of the features like wooden wheels, wire wheels, steel wheels and NO seatbelts!! Of course the favourite thing is the sound of the klaxon on the Packard.

The exhaust system had broken, so I have made up a new system, using proprietory exhaust tubing and a stainless silencer box.

Here are a couple of pictures...including the view ahead, from the rear seat.
side.jpg
In the sunshine
Attachments
back.jpg
Complete with trunk!
cab.jpg
Inside the cab...
seat.jpg
The view ahead...
front rad.jpg
and the front....

absfan

Post by absfan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:36 pm

That's a beautiful car...looking forward to see it progress.

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:50 am

Beautiful car! I really enjoyed reading the history.
It’s funny how the subtle differences make things interesting, such as verbiage (mentioned earlier).
A couple more examples: windscreen (windshield), a clash (grinding gears), and petrol (gas)... ha!

Growing up, I wasn’t particularly interested in cars from the 20s, primarily because in my part of the world it would only be Fords, Chevrolets, etc. Now that I’ve got some age on my side ( ;) ) I am amazed at just how different and competitive the car market was back then. A Ford Model A started at around US$500, and ranged to the rare dual cowl at around US$1200.

The Packard 533, if I’ve read correctly, started at US$1200. Definitely an upscale vehicle!

I really enjoy the pics and look forward to reading more on your progress!
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/