1928 533 seven passenger

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Don R's Cars

Re: 1928 533 seven passenger

Post by Don R's Cars » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 am

Adam wrote:Hello Don

If you double click on the thumbnail picture, you get a full-screen sized image. At least you do on my computer! With that, you can probably make out the words "Packard London"on the badge. I have always assumed that the badges were made for the UK consessionaires (a very old fashioned word), who were W.C Gaunt & co, based in Piccadilly, London. The building is still there, but it is a shopping street now.

The motometer also has an image of a biplane and the Packard radiator shape. I am not sure if that was widely used, but I have never seen another of the pair of wings that form the radiator mascot. Does anyone know different?

Adam..
Thanks Adam, I do see the emblem script now in the enlarged photo. I collect radiator badges among my other vices and would love to find one of those!

The motometer and biplane label plate were standard for the day. Wing ornaments were also common aftermarket items although yours appears to be designed for specific fit on the bail cap - could very well be a Packard accessory. I'll bet someone on this forum has an accessory catalog...
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 am

It's not Packard related but nevertheless I thought you might enjoy this picture which Adam shared with me of his 6C-1500 Alfa.
Attachments
Adams Alfa 6C 1500.jpg

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 am

vukelic wrote:Adam,

This is very interesting, as are all documentations this complete about Packards. Your frequent posts about "all things Packard" are appreciated. Hope you continue to do so. The car (unrestored/ original) looks great as is. I'll be anxious to see where the project goes from here.

Steve Wukelich in Montana
Thank you Steve

Actually my plan for the car is evolving. Originally I planned to restore everything on the car, but I can see now that much of it is in reasonable condition and I am now thinking that an engine rebuild, new tyres, exhaust and a partial repaint may suffice and keep the car so much more original. Also the prospect of making the car useable again with less time and expense than previously planned is tempting.

I belong to the Vintage Sports Car Club here in the UK and the Packard is an eligible car for many of their navigation rallies and tours, where driving condition is more important than "show and shine". So I think this is the route I (or rather the Packard) will go.

I have been busy with other car projects recently, including the Alfa that DaveC kindly posted here, so the Packard is still waiting. Although she was running and moved around in my shed a couple of weeks ago. I think the autovac is not working so must remove that and have a look.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 am

Hi Adam;

A quick 'hello' from another UK Packard Owner - love your car (mine's much younger -1941). Hope to meet up sometime.

Best Regards,

Howard.

433ambulance

Post by 433ambulance » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:32 am

I have a 1927 Six. Do we have the same engine? Looking for specs of the crankshaft.how is the engine rebuild going?
Brant

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:05 am

Hello Brant

I think the engines in the fourth series six and Fifth series six are pretty similar. There may be detail differences such as carburation, ignition etc, and i believe, the fifth series benefitted from the addition of oil jets to lubricate the bores. You say your car is a 1927. Fifth series production began in July 1927, so your car may be either Fourth or Fifth series. The Fourth series featured both sixes and Eights, whilst the Fifth series was sixes only. How about posting some pics of your car in a new thread so we can compare? What do you need to know about the crankshaft?

I haven`t started an engine rebuild yet. I am still deciding what to do with the car and to that end, I do have it running and drove it a couple of weeks ago. The original autovac (mentioned above) is now working nicely again.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:36 am

Hello all

There has been very little progress on the Packard recently because I have been busy with other projects, such as rebuilding the front suspension on my 66 Sunbeam Tiger. However, my father-in-law, who is a keen woodworker did undertake to make me a trunk for the back of the Packard, which you can see in the photos below. I am delighted with the result. It is obviously not finished yet, as I still need to cover and line the trunk in some vinyl material and add catches etc. It is going to be fastened to the trunk rack with some 'D' shackles, which will fit around the bars of the rack and bolt through the bottom of the box. Dimensions were based upon photos of other cars and I hope you agree that it looks 'right'.

The Packard did make a public appearance of sorts last Friday. The local Primary School visit each year to see the old cars as part of their studies of 'Transport' topic. 90 year 2 children (6 year olds), in three groups.. phew!

Adam..

Trunk pic.JPG
Attachments
Trunk pic 3.JPG
Trunk pic 2.JPG

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 am

Good-loocking trunk, Adam! The profile looks quite appropriate. The original was probably covered externally in a grained black leatherette synthetic which should be easy to source. There are also some places that sell trunk hardware, corners, latches, etc. so that should be findable as well. If you want some photos of the hardware on my trunk I either have them or could easily take and post some. Though everyone and his brother was selling trunks as accessories at the time, Packard's supplier was Kam-Lee and they used a blue interior liner with their logo imprinted.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Dave. Yes, it is the black leatherette look that I am going for. There is a trim supply shop about 5 miles from home who should have plenty. My long term aim for the car is for it to be a retirement (!) project and the trunk will be very handy for carrying luggage items. I think I am lucky to have the side mounted spare and the rear luggage rack on the car. I wish I had the rear bumper, which I think must have been removed when a towing hitch was added. I guess it would not be too difficult to fabricate a rear bumper for one of these cars.

Adam..

Sprocket

Post by Sprocket » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:38 pm

The Hartford friction shock dampers may be unique to the English market also. I do not recall seeing these on 1928 American market cars.