1931 Packard 833 Golf Door Conv.

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Packard833

1931 Packard 833 Golf Door Conv.

Post by Packard833 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:03 am

I am starting this blog to show the process of the restoration of my 1931 Packard 833 8 cylinder golf door convertible.

This is going to be a restoration project for myself and my in-laws, as this will be their show/driver.

A little history on myself, I am an accountant by trade, but take out the pocket protector and get dirty in grease and grim as my passion is for restoring and building cars.
I have personally restored 5 cars, 1951 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup(currently still have and finished the restoration last year), 1955 Pontiac, 1955 Chevy, 1937 Ford full custom, and a 1958 Chevy.

Since this is my first wood structure build, I am looking for any advice I can get.
As you can see from the pictures, the car has no original wood structure, thus I am deciding whether to build the structure out of metal or wood. Now I know people will be saying it depends if you want a concours car or just a really nice show/driver. We haven’t decided on that yet. I know if I do it out of metal it would not be a concours car as it would be original.
I am leaning more towards metal as, one its easier and cheaper, but since I don’t have any templates for the wood, I feel that would be very difficult. Unless someone here on the forum could help me out with that.

History of the car.
Purchased it from a guy in FL, but the car was located in up-state NY, that had a shop start a restoration 10 years ago. The shop disassembled it(cut the hell out of it), so this project is a puzzle to say the least.
The Engine I was told was rebuild and the front end was all been re-chromed. But due to being out in the weather for the past 2 years, it will need to be redone.
The Frame is clean and will just need a repaint.

I reassembled the car to see what I was working with and come to the conclusion that some of the parts i have aren’t for this car.

I am off for a business trip but will write more once I return. In the meantime please look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts.

Regards
Matt

Packard833

Re: 1931 Packard 833 Golf Door Conv.

Post by Packard833 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 am

Some pictures
Attachments
$(KGrHqZ,!pgF!HfsNM8(BQRNWRDgrg~~60_3.jpg
Frame
$(KGrHqV,!qME+oIsHfEvBQRNY0f52w~~60_3.jpg
Body
$T2eC16d,!)!E9s2fDIVgBQRNZkGWr!~~60_3.jpg
Body 2
$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd5odBQRNT)r3+!~~60_3.jpg
Engine
IMG_1768.JPG
Assembled 1

Packard833

Post by Packard833 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 am

Additional Pictures
Attachments
IMG_1770 2.jpg
Assembled 2
Assembled 2
IMG_1769.JPG
Assembled 3

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks for the photos, that looks like a great project car. I quite certain there are no structural wood "kits" on the market though no doubt quite a few restorers over the years have done partial or even complete wood replacements, so somewhere out there should be someone with at least some of the patterns though just how to find them is another matter. I'll make some inquiries. And let me try to discourage you from doing the body framing in steel, it would seriously detract from the value of the finished car, probably so much that you'd never be able to recover the costs of restoration.

Packard833

Post by Packard833 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Some more pictures
Attachments
$(KGrHqV,!lEE+3BPZu!1BQRNb2dK0!~~60_3.jpg
trunk and gas cover (which i don't fit this car)
$T2eC16JHJI!E9qSO8DTFBQRNi(cGvQ~~60_3.jpg
frame
$T2eC16h,!zcE9s4g4wI-BQRN,UODFQ~~60_3.jpg
doors( which i am not sure fit as the body line on the bottom is different then the body of the car)
IMG_1753 2.jpg
driver side
IMG_1769.JPG
pass side
$(KGrHqR,!lQF!SDPlWZRBQRN(B0o3Q~~60_3.jpg
front end

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:25 am

Matt

Thanks for sharing the photos. That is a great looking project. And a fabulous looking car when it is finished. My 533 is great fun to drive, I would build it to drive if I was you.

It looks pretty complete chassis-wise, but clearly there is much to do on the body, although the panels seem in good condition.

I seriously think it would be worthwhile to form the body frame in wood, as Dave says. And once you get started, i would think not too difficult. It would be worth investing in a band saw and similar equipment though. I suspect it would produce a more satisfactory result than doing it in steel. I am sure someone would allow you to measure and photograph their car to help devise the structure.

The engine looks great. Have you had it running? Have you driven the chassis at all?

I have been following the rebuild of a 1921 Packard by a man in Australia on the AACA forum, which frankly was worse than yours to begin with. It has a very similar body style and the wood had to be completely remade. It might be worth contacting that man to learn from his experience.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

De Leeuw

Post by De Leeuw » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 am

Hi there. I'm Theo and I'm in New Zealand. I'm restoring a 1931 833 Convertible Coupe and would be interested to know more about your car. I have some wooden patterns but am also needing some measurement to make more progress on my car. I intend coming to the USA for the Herschey swap meet but do have a total of two weeks in America. Are you able to indicate where in the USA you are located? I would like to come and see your car.

Just for the record you will find me in the Club's membership Directory

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 pm

G'day Theo,

Seeing there's been no activity on this thread since 2012 another possible way to contact Matt would be to click on his Forum name(Packard833) and send him a PM(Personal Message). If active, the PM may generate an email which will be sent to Packard833.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

De Leeuw

Post by De Leeuw » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

thanks for your reply. I have sent a personal message but there has not been a reply. I intend initially staying with Sandy Mitchell in Michigan then driving through to Hershey for the main event . Following that up to Washington and New York. In that time I'd love to see an 833 convertible coupe or two. Can anyone give me the contact for some that might be over that side of the States? any info would be gratefully received, Theo, member from NewZealand

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Theo,

Looked in the recently received PAC 2017-2018 Membership Directory which lists 8 x 469 Convertible Coupes including yours. The others are in Minnesota, Georgia x 2, Connecticut, North Carolina, Florida and Wisconsin. I guess the Connecticut one would be closest when you're in New York. Or, approaching from another angle, maybe the Wisconsin one while you're in Michigan? I know, looking at maps tends to disguise distance. :?

The one in North Carolina is this very nice looking one in the Registry on PackardInfo.com. http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... ew&ID=1868
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.