1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:12 am

Dave,

I'm taking a break from flushing the block right now. There was a lot of sediment just below the core plugs and between the cylinder castings. I was able to scrape it loose with an angled screwdriver and wire bore brush. Once loose, it was flushed out the core holes. Came reasonably clean. The scale remains on the surface of the iron casting. Your suggestion for the oxalic acid will be the next step when it's back together. The water distribution tube was clean considering the rest.
P1291235.jpg
The front support on the stand was removed to access water pump port
P1291236.jpg
A messy job!
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:08 am

Cylinder Head Removal

With the water jackets flushed as good as possible, it was time to start removing engine parts. Removed the damper, the front cover and the oil pan. The next task was removing the cylinder head. I searched the forum and found a post by Dave Czirr from 2010 with an article he wrote with tips for changing the head gasket. This is a worthwhile read before tackling removing the Packard 8 head. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

With the engine out of the car and on a stand, it makes the job easier. I used a couple of large “C” clamps on the head along with an engine leveler and cable hoist. I wasn’t trying the lift the head off the engine with this rig, just put some slight upward pressure on the head while a putty knife was used to separate the gasket from the block. Working around the perimeter of the head with the putty knife, the gasket came loose and the head was raised and blocked. After checking, it was raised high enough to clear the studs and re-blocked. The apparatus was removed and the head was lifted off the engine.
P1301237.jpg
P1301238.jpg
P1301239.jpg
With the head off, the engine and head were inspected. Could not see any cracks or signs of a blown gasket. The bores are smooth with only a slight ridge at the top of the cylinders. There was carbon on the valves but the crowns of the pistons were very clean. The head was also very clean. You can still see the machine marks where the head had been milled. It is obvious that work had been on the engine recently, not so much based on time but on miles driven. I’m very happy with its overall condition.
P1301241.jpg
P1301242.jpg

The only other work I plan on doing to the block other than general cleanup is possibly a valve job, bearing check and replacement of the rear main seal.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Post by 19482255 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Following your project with great interest. Your chronicles have been very helpful. Mine is a 48 custom club (2255), and its condition is similar to yours. Wish I had an old run down shop like yours to work in - the space would come in extremely handy, but out here in Southern California, extra space comes at a real premium. Congratulations on all the progress - must be very gratifying. Keep posting: will be sure to keep reading. Evan

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 am

Evan,

If you want a run-down body shop, be careful what you wish for!

Joe
Last edited by Tinman_70 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 am

I've got a three-car garage close to my house that the original builder added. It has one bay with a higher door but the ceilings are too low to put a lift in them. I've been talking to my contractor brother-in-law and he agrees with me that I can go back it and raise the ceiling by 12-14 inches (to be determined after I get on a ladder) and gain the height I need to install a life. I had a 4-post life in my last barn and do miss it. I will probably go with a 2-post this time if the concrete will support it. Then all I need to do is to enclose the area between the house and this garage and I'm set for the rest of my life (however long or short that may be).

I do have to say again that I really do enjoy your posts and the work you are doing on this Packard. I am in the process of buying a 26 Star Landau that has the back (from the oval windows back) gone but the old wood is still there to use as partial patterns. Currently, there are only 3 others in the registry like it. Your work, although somewhat dissimilar from the wooden frame cars has been a tremendous help to me in visualizing the restoration of the Star. (I know, it is not a Packard but I was a Packard man first and still love them).

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:44 am

Tinman, I'm not sure I can fully appreciate the efforts you put into making that old body shop into what appears to be an ideal location for old car restoration and service and I'm indeed envious of your facility. I've got an old separate 2-car wooden frame garage (actually a Sears pre-fab that my father assembled) which fortunately was ordered with a 6-foot added length. But in addition to 2 Packards it's filled with lawn movers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, 2 extra engines (one for each car), spare transmissions and a rear axle, etc. Not a lot of space to work but somehow I've managed.

Post by 19482255 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 am

Outstanding renovation. The before and after is a night and day difference. Definitely didn't get the full gist of where you were working until these photos. Don't know what real estate values are like where you are, but I'm sure you probably gained about 100-200% by the job you did. Lots of scrubbing, painting, retrofitting - did you have to do any structural or re-roofing? Any electrical and/or mechanical upgrades? Or were you fortunate and able to use the bones of what you had as-is and was this largely cosmetic? Looks like the exterior was a significant upgrade too. Well done, what a fantastic facility - somewhere you can really enjoy working on your cars AND park your gargantuan RV! Uh oh...you've given me some ideas for what paradise in my future might look like. ;)

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:27 pm

And now back to Packard stuff!

At some point in your life you have to come to the realization that you’re just too darn old to be crawling under an engine on your back to scrape off an oil pan gasket! My fixed engine stand worked good for some things but working on the bottom end is just too hard. I had to go back to the drawing board.

The original design for the back of the stand provided for the engine to be rotated by aligning with the centerline of the crankshaft. But when it came to the front, it appeared that the legs on the hoist were too short to attach to the end of the crankshaft, so it was attached to the water pump bolts and the engine fixed in place. This is just not going to work for what needs to be done to the bottom of the engine like cleaning the gasket surface, checking for cracks, checking the bearings and replacing the rear main seal.

I took a second look and it appeared that the front supports would fit at the very end of the legs. A ¾” ID sleeve was welded to a piece of rectangular tube and a ¾” fine thread bolt 3” long attached the piece to the end of the crankshaft. Before the side supports were attached, the weight of the engine was pre-loaded on the back of the stand so there would not be a heavy load on the front of the crankshaft. Everything was welded up and bolted together and the jacks removed. Looks like it works. The engine looks so top-heavy, however, I’m going to wait for some help to flip it over.
P2021248.jpg
P2031249.jpg
P2031250.jpg
P2031251.jpg
I saved the other complete front support that bolts to the water pump bolts. It will be used later when the front cover and damper are re-installed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:17 am

Project Update:

I haven’t had the time to put together any posts showing the dis-assembly process, but here’s the end result.
The engine has been totally disassembled, washed and the block and components checked for cracks, burnt valves or blown head gaskets. Everything checks out fine. The bearings and bores are standard size, no evidence of a prior rebuild. The head has been milled. All the new parts have been ordered from Egge and the necessary machine work has been scheduled.
P2101274.jpg
P2101276.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 am

Brief Project Update:

Engine has been completely dis-assembled. Parts attached to block have been cleaned and primed with grey high temperature engine enamel primer. Final cleaning and re-assembly of the engine block is waiting for the valve job to be completed and final honing of the cylinders . I have a complete set of pictures of the dis-assembly with the crankshaft removal, reaming the cylinder ridge, piston removal, removing the valves and the camshaft and lifters. Haven't had the time to put together a post.
P2231282.jpg
P2231283.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com