1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 am

I've be able to make several short shakedown cruises to check the cars operation.

The car starts right up even when cold with air temp in the 60s and even with the heating coil disabled. The car shifts fine in all the gears but I still haven'y figured out the overdrive, probably because I'm still driving at slow speeds. All the gauges seem to be working and the alternator is outputting 7.4 volts at idle.

The most serious problem I found was with the rear brakes. On one trip I heard a grinding sound from the rear axle area. I jacked up the car and with great effort, used a hub puller to remove the driver side rear hub/brake drum. When it finally came off, the brake shoe retainer parts from the front shoe fell out. Apparently, the disk that holds the shoe retaining spring was rubbing on the brake drum and disconnected. It turns out I had purchased retaining hardware which was apparently different from the original allowing the retainer to stick out too far causing the retainer to rub the brake drum and become disengaged. I bought a different set of retainers from a local parts store, installed them and that fixed the problem. Pulled the passenger side to check the retainers. They were not rubbing but changed the retainers anyway. Also checked the front and found no problem with what was originally installed. This picture shows the difference in the hardware.
Noise.jpg
The retainer disk on the right is what was installed, on the left is the replacement. The one that failed had a deeper dish allowing it to stick out past the brake shoe. When I installed the brakes and adjusted them, I might have mistaken the rubbing with that of the shoe to the drum. The question is why was this a problem with only one wheel?
Another problem was the speedometer being noisy. Disconnected the cable from the speedometer, pulled out the inner cable and cleaned and lubed it and re-installed, problem solved.

After going over some bumps, it was apparent the tailpipe was hitting the rear axle. Removed the rear section of the tailpipe, cut off a small section and moved it forward away from the axle.

Its first car show is in 2 weeks, hope to have everything working by then.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am

Finally got the '49 Club Sedan out on its maiden voyage to a show in Clearwater, FL. It was a 60 mile round trip and it ran fine. I did have few things I'm going to have to fix before my next trip. Had some fuel flow problems that required that the electric pump had to be used most of the trip. The horn stopped working and the turn signals don't seem to want to cancel. Also found that I need a side mirror on the drivers side when in traffic! Other than that, it was a beautiful day for a car show with temps in the 60s early and low 80s in the afternoon. The car had a lot of interest because the vintage is rarely seen at most shows. The next show is in 2 weeks and is a 200 mile round trip, most on the Interstate. I'll get everything fixed and do some maintenance and be ready to go.

First Show_2.jpg
"Cars at the Cap" Historic Capital Theater Clearwater, FL.
First Show_3.jpg
Open show for 30 years and older, about 300 cars.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 am

Congratulations on your maiden voyage!, the car looks terrific!

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:46 am

After my trip last week to the car show, it was painfully clear that I needed a driver side mirror while in traffic. Most vintage mirrors are the kind that clamp on the door frame. I was looking for something more period-correct for a Packard. I found a pair of side mirrors for a '49-"51 Ford that bolt to the door (Bob Drake #8A-18402-A $35 each). I looked through Robert Neal's book to get an idea of where to place the mirrors. Placed tape in the general location and had a friend come over and hold the mirror to make sure the view was clear. Marked the tape with the outline of the mirror base than used the template that came with the mirrors to mark the position of the mounting holes. Drilled the holes and attached the mounting bracket. The are no screws showing on the mirror base for a clean look. Slid the mirrors on and attached with a mounting screw in the front of the mirror. Looks good and should help with driving but I think the passenger side is just for show. Also fixed the horn, loose screw on the horn ring and am working on the fuel line check valve.
Mirror_1.jpg
Mounting bracket attached
Mirror_2.jpg
Mirror slides on to bracket and attached with a small screw on the front of the mirror
Mirror_3.jpg
No mounting screws show
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Incredible project, Joe!
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:50 am

Just finished my first long trip in my Packard, drove from St. Petersburg to a car show in Ocala about 210 miles round trip. The trip was mostly on the Interstate highway and the car ran very well driving between 55 to 65 mph. Did come away with a things to fix, primarily having to drive in the dark with no instrument lights! They were the one thing I didn't test because you can't tell whether or not they are on in the daylight! There is a slight vibration was in the front end at 65 so I'm so I am going to pull the front tires and have the wheels re-balanced. When the tires were mounted on the wire wheels they used tape-on wheel weights for ecstatic reasons. I'm going to have them balanced using traditional weights clipped to the edge of the rims, less attractive but better functionality. The car tracks nicely down the road after my DIY alignment but the steering wheel is clocked at 11:30 so it needs a slight adjustment to correct. The engine starts easily and runs smoothly using the Pertronix breaker-less ignition. If you have tried Pertronix and it hasn't worked, it's not the product but the fact that it doesn't mix well with 70 year old wire and electrical technology.

One thing I was happy with was the operation of the R-11 overdrive. My first couple short trips indicated it was not operating. After trouble shooting the wiring and all the components, it came down to the OD relay. It was hard to find because when testing the relay with a test light it appeared to work but wouldn't operates the solenoid. A poor connection near the fuse holder was the problem. Rather than buying a original replacement, I decided to try a 6 volt 30 amp cube relay that someone had suggested, they cost $3.50 vs $130+.

Relay_1.jpg
Original relay in place.
Relay_2.jpg
Cube relay in mount with wires.

The relay fits in a panel mount with wires attached. If the relay goes bad you can just unplug it from the mount rather than having remove the 4 individual wires. It's easy to translate the wiring diagram from the original relay to the cube relay. The power to the relay in my car comes from a 30 amp fuse on the fuse panel I installed, so no external fuse at the relay is needed. I decided to test the operation before permanently installing. Attached the wires from the relay to corresponding wires removed from the original relay. An electrical ground was applied to the OD governor circuit and the coil in the OD solenoid successfully engaged. Finished the permanent wiring of the relay and attached the relay to the firewall. This relay can also be used as an inexpensive replacement for the original horn relay or any other place a 6V relay is needed.

Relay_3.jpg
Temporarily wired for test.
Relay_4.jpg
Permanently mounted.
I have several more car shows between now and the end of April before the summer weather shuts the shows down due to the heat. Hope to have the car completely shaken out and 100% completed so the long run of this blog will finally be over, or at least until I find another Packard!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 am

What a wonderful car and a fabulous project.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:46 am

I've been trying to upgrade some of the parts on my car as my budget allows. I found a couple of grille pieces (right and left upper grille bars) on one of the Packard Facebook groups. They were listed by Mike Dulinski in Duluth, MN. The parts I was using had been bought on ebay several years ago to replace the very poor ones that came on the car. They were good but had some noticeable pits and scratches. They were installed on the car when it was assembled. The ones Mike had were NOS and in very good condition with just a small amount of "shelf wear". He mailed them to me for inspection and I quickly mailed him a check for the very reasonable price and shipping.

Grille Fix_1.jpg

As the commentator always said, "Now the rest of the story"!

I had a show coming up in a couple of days last February so I grabbed the parts and went out to install the new found chrome. What I found was that there was no way to replace these pieces without a major disassembly to get to their retaining bolts. I was going to have to remove the front bumper and bumper pan to access the retaining bolts. I just put the pieces aside until today.

Unbolted the bumper pan from the body and used a transmission jack to support the bumper while it was unbolted.

Grille Fix_2.jpg

Rolled the bumper with the pan attached out from the car. Removed the two bolts holding the pan to the bumper and removed it from the bumper.

Grille Fix_3.jpg

Removed the pieces that were going to be replaced.

Grille Fix_4.jpg

Bolted the new pieces in place. re-installed the bumper pan to the body. Used the transmission jack with wood blocks on each side to lift the bumper to slide it over the pan and fenders. Installed the 4 bolts from the bumper braces to the chassis. Made sure everything was lined up correctly and tightened the pan bolts and the brace bolts.

Grille Fix_5.jpg

Looks good but I got a lot more than I bargained for!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 am

In a previous post I had replaced the defective original overdrive relay with a 6V cube relay. It seemed to work fine engaging the OD on my long trip to Ocala. However, driving around town, it seemed to inconsistent with engaging the OD above the required speed, just wasn't confident with it's operation. I decided to "bite the bullet" and spend the money to buy a more appropriate replacement. There were two choices available, a reproduction of the original or a later model unit adapted to perform the same task. The reproduction uses the same 30A glass fuse while the other has an internal circuit breaker. Both cost $130.

OD Relay Orig.jpg
The original reproduction OD relay.
OD Relay Orig.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 283 times
OD Relay New Style.jpg
Replacement from vintageautogarage.com

I had already cut the wires to install the cube relay, so rewiring was in the cards for either installation. Since the car wasn't meant be be kept 100% original, I decided to use the newer relay. Did the necessary rewiring and attached the unit in the same position as the original. After installing, turned the key and grounded the "TH" terminal on the relay and could hear the solenoid engage. The exposed terminals made it easy to test like the original. Driving the car back and forth to a 3 day car show in Tampa, the overdrive worked perfectly in both city and open highway driving.

OD Relay Installed.jpg
Relay installed in place of original

Next time I do any wiring, I'm going to install a dash light to indicate the operation of the OD governor. I found some small 6V LED lights. Apparently, this type light was included in the Series 22 but dropped for the Series 23 with the R-11 OD.

LED Lights_2.jpg
6V LED lights found on Amazon
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:32 am

As a summer project on my '49 Club Sedan, I'm converting it to 12 volt. The car is not a complete restoration but maintains the spirit of Packard with the original drive train, completely original body and interior. I need to upgrade to 12 volt to meet my driving needs.

Currently, the car has a clock that is broken, a speedometer that is broken, a windshield wiper motor that works poorly, gauges that are "directionally correct" but not accurate and taillights that even with the alternator are not as bright as current cars and are hard for some to see. The cost of getting all the old stuff fixed is equivalent to the conversion with no added benefits.

The car has already been completely re-wired with an American Autowire fuse panel kit and has a 50 amp 6 volt GM alternator with dual Optima 6 volt batteries. The ignition will be converted from the current 6 volt Pertronix unit to 12 volt by changing the pickup sensor in the distributor and the ignition coil. The conversion should be reasonably easy except for having to pull the dash! The new components are a set of Autometer electronic gauges and speedometer that are the exact size to fit in the dash in place of the clock and speedometer (pictured). Also a 100 amp GM 3-wire alternator is a bolt-on with the current bracket. A Newport electric windshield wiper motor is a direct fit in place of the vacuum unit. The headlights will be replaced with 12 volt Halogens and the taillights with ultra bright bulbs to shine through the thick red glass. One 6 volt part that will be maintained is the 6 volt OD solenoid. I purchased a 12V to 6V OD voltage converter from Vintage Auto Garage (pictured). It's a one-piece unit that also replaces the OD relay. My long-term goal is to fit the car with air conditioning so it can be comfortably driven year round in sunny Florida. I'll place the progress on a Project Blog on one of the Packard forums.
12V Gauges.jpg
Electronic speedometer and quad gauge for oil, temp, fuel and volts.
OD Converter.jpg
Converts 12V to 6V and serves as OD relay.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com