1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:37 am

Trunk Floor Repair

The fabrication of the trunk floor replacement is completed. Here are some additional pictures.

Cut the rusted areas from around the spare tire well and made patterns for replacement metal. Somebody asked me about the round donut shaped items. They are magnets from microwave ovens, very handy for holding stuff in place. From the patterns, patches were made from 18 gauge sheet metal.

P3150140A.jpg
P3150143A.jpg
P3150141A.jpg
P3150142A.jpg
The patches were drilled and secured temporarily with clecos. Support for the sides of the floor were made and attached to inner fender well. The back of the floor will be bolted to the body using the same holes that secured the original floor.
P7140148A.jpg
P7130145A.jpg
P7130146A.jpg
Now that all the parts have been made, they will be removed and primed, painted or undercoated if exposed to the outside. All of the remaining original metal will be treated with rust inhibitor and painted or undercoated. The panels will be reinstalled using 3/16 rivets with seam sealer in all the joints.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Is there a reason that you are not welding the replacement panels into place? I realize it would be much easier to coat them prior to installation when using rivets but with the gas tank out it would still be pretty easy if you welded everything and then undercoated it. I've never done this before so I know nothing about it am and really curious about your choices and reasoning. :-) Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

In most areas of the original metal, the pitting and surface rust would have to be cleaned to bare metal to get a good solid weld. I tried that on the door and wound burning through many of the welds. I could weld where new metal meets new metal but decided to rivet all of it.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for your explanation, that makes sense. I was just curious. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 am

Interesting work. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Here are some pictures of the finished trunk floor replacement. There wasn't much left of the original floor due to poor trunk weather stripping.
P3120130A.jpg
All the new metal pieces were removed and primed and the bottoms undercoated with Eastwood rubberized undercoating. When it dries, it is flexible but not sticky like tar undercoating. All the remaining original metal was cleaned and treated with a rust inhibitor. The mating surfaces were coated with seam sealer and re-installed and held in place temporarily with clecos. At that point some of the clecos were removed and the panels were riveted with 3/16" pop rivets using an air riveter, This continued until all the panels were permanently in place. Additional seam sealer was put around all the exposed joints. All interior surfaces from the tire well forward were sprayed with 2 coats of truck bed liner material. On the under side, joints were coated with seam sealer and then undercoated. The underside almost looks original. Don't know if it's air-tight but with new trunk weather stripping it should water tight. The floor will be covered with an original looking mat of some sort. I need to clean and re-install the gas tank then I'll work on the rockers.
P7300153.JPG
P7300157.JPG
P7300158.JPG
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I really admire your work and must say you are an inspiration to me. My funds are really low right now BUT I have found a likely project for the winter. There is a 49 Hudson Commodore close by that I can pick up for almost scrape prices that will probably need some similar work done to it. It is an all original car and, although not a wonderful Packard, does have some really nice lines to it. I haven't found a decent Packard around lately they didn't want too much for.

Keep up the great work and the dynamite pictures.

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

jmdpackard

Post by jmdpackard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Nice work on your car! We too, are going to have some tough issues to tackle with our Packard, but in my opinion these cars are definitely worth the effort and expense. Our car never fails to draw a crowd wherever we drive it, and that's priceless. Even though these cars are not in the same class in terms of collectibility as say a Hemi Cuda or Duesenberg, they are nevertheless really cool cars. My wife and I run errands in ours, and drive it nearly everyday, that's something you just don't see out of the "rare" cars. I personally think that driving a Packard as they were once driven when new is the ultimate reward for ownership. Ours runs very strong, with no engine rebuild, it never overheats, and that is in the dog days of summer in South Florida.

Someday we are going to do a body off, does it make financial sense? Hell no? Do I care, Hell no! We love our Packard and will be keeping it going for a long time. But before we restore it, we are going to drive it coast to coast, stay tuned :D .

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:56 am

Dash Rehab
Dash_3.jpg
All the dash chrome in my ‘49 is in poor condition. Because of the intricate design of the dash pieces and their poor condition, it would have cost a small fortune to have them all re-chromed. I started watching ebay and over a period of six weeks I was able to replace all of the chrome pieces attached to the dash. They are all in very good to excellent condition. Also got the horn ring and the seat lever. It took six transactions and about $300 to replace all these parts. I’m putting them aside until I finish work on the gas tank and the rocker panels. I’m also looking for some exterior chrome pieces but haven’t had good luck.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

jmdpackard

Post by jmdpackard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Wow! Those pieces look great, and to think you grabbed all of that for $300, good job.