1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:20 pm

I pushed the car out to power wash the underside but decided to clean the paint off the firewall instead. The lower portion of the firewall, sometimes called toe boards, were stripped of all the loose undercoating. They will be re-undercoating. The upper portion of the firewall was originally painted the body color but this had been painted over, dirt and all, with a black paint probably when the engine was out at some point. The black paint was stripped off with airplane stripper to finally reveal the original body color which I believe was Ash Green. I’ll check the build sheet to see if I’m right. With multiple coats of stripper, the green came off easily but the primer was very hard to remove. It appears to be a red oxide primer and it took several coats of stripper and a power wire brush to remove it. I’ll work on the cowl area above the firewall tomorrow then sand and prime the bare metal with epoxy primer.
PB111946.jpg
Half done
PB111947.jpg
Original color under black paint
PB111948.jpg
Completed, cowl next
PB111949.jpg
Paint removing does make a mess
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Post by 19482255 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:00 pm

You're really coming along! Thanks for the updates to the blog. Looks great. If only I had the time to do to mine what you're doing to yours. Mine is just sitting, patiently waiting...

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:03 pm

I removed everything from the cowl and finished stripping it today. Finally figured out how to remove the windshield wiper mechanism to clear off the cowl. There was quite a bit of surface rust in this area. The hood seal was bad and water was able to get into this area. While the original primer adheres to the metal, it does not stand up well to water. Any place the paint is broken like where screws are attached to the metal, water gets in and caused rust. A good example is the ID plate. The holes where the four screws attach the plate all have significant surface rust around them. This portion of the body is going to be painted the body color so it’s going to take some heavy sanding and filler to smooth it out to a nice finish.
PB121951.jpg
All the hardware was removed and cowl was masked off
PB121952.jpg
A lot of rust in this area
PB121953.jpg
The black paint came off easily, original paint not so
PB121954.jpg
After paint stripping
PB121955.jpg
After area is wire brushed and wiped down
I’ll get a coat of primer on the firewall and cowl this weekend. Also removed the fresh air vents from the side of the body. They will be easier to clean and paint off the body.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Before I started mixing up two-part primer, I decided to get as many pieces ready so they could be painted at one time. This included the air ducts, the front bumper pan and the radiator cover.

One of the ducts was covered with undercoating and the other wasn’t. It might have been removed and replaced when the Series 22 fenders and hood were added. Used paint remover to soften the undercoating than media blasted them.
PB141956.jpg
PB141961.jpg
The front bumper pan was a part that I found on ebay. The original was badly rusted and unusable. The front mounting tabs of the replacement pan were missing so the ones on the original were copied and replacements fabricated and welded in place.
PB141957.jpg
PB141958.jpg
PB141959.jpg
The rust on the bumper pan, even after media blasting, did not come off completely so the pan was painted with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. It will be sanded and primed with epoxy primer on the top and undercoated on the bottom.
PB141962.jpg
The radiator cover/shroud is in good shape. Top has no rust and the inside has some surface rust.
PB141963.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:34 am

I was able to get some of the Packard parts primed, starting with the firewall. After stripping it, it was sanded with an 80 grit disk on a 3” air grinder for the tight spots and 80 grit disk on a 6” dual action sander. It was then scuffed with a red Scotch Brite pad and cleaned with prep solvent prior to painting. The primer is a 2-part grey epoxy primer mixed 1 to 1 with activator. It came out better than I expected, just need some light filler to fill some pits. The other parts that had been cleaned got the same treatment. They were the fender skirts, air ducts, front radiator cover and front bumper pan.
PB171967.jpg
PB171966.jpg
While the primer was curing, the outside of inner fender panels were undercoated. The inside (engine side) were already primed and are ready to paint black sometime later.
PB171969.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 am

The wire retainers on the underside of the radiator cover had rusted away. I did not want to drill holes in the cover for new clamps so I replaced them with some insulated wire clamps, sometimes called "Adel" clamps.
PB181973.jpg

I removed the insulation and clipped off one side of the clamp. Clamped the modified retainers to the cover and spot-welded both sides to the cover.
PB181970.jpg
PB181972.jpg
Shot the underside of the cover with undercoating and replaced the insulation on the clamp.
PB191976.jpg

Unfortunately, I should have remembered to do this before I primed the top. I’ll need to sand and re-prime the burnt spots.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:07 am

Since we’ve had record heat here for November, I’ve been procrastinating going outside to work on the body while out in the sun. I’ve searched the shop for other tasks that can be done inside. Came across a box with the front and rear bumper braces. They were covered with rust and old undercoating. I scrapped and wire brushed them then put them in the blast cabinet. They were primed and then painted with chassis paint. While stripping them, it reminded me that I had not ordered the new side grommets for the rear bumpers. Placed an order for them with Steele Rubber Products. Without Steele it would be difficult to restore many vintage cars.

Also found a couple of additional items that needed to be cleaned and painted. There is a front license plate mount that will be modified to fit if necessary and the original legs for the battery box. The tray of the battery box had rusted away but the legs are in good condition and will be used with a new fabricated tray. They were also cleaned, primed and painted. A further search turned up some more parts. There was a pair of center grille supports, front support bars and parts to mount the taillights.
PB171964.jpg
PB171965.jpg
PB191975.jpg
PB201977.jpg

I’m running out of miscellaneous work so I need to get back to the body.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:38 am

The tool fairy didn’t deliver the auto rotisserie I’ve been wishing for so I guess it will have to be done the hard way. Got most of the grease and dirt and some loose undercoating with the power washer. Need to repair some rusted fender brackets, then seal and undercoat.
PB201978.jpg
Jacked up the body dolly for better access, repeated for rear.
PB201979.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:52 am

The rear fender brace on the driver side was rusted away and the fender was flexing. The rusted part was cut away and a pattern was made to connect the brace back to the fender. The replacement piece was made, primed and temporarily attached with clecos.
PB211981.jpg
PB211982.jpg
PB211983.jpg

I cleaned up some of the spots I missed with the power washer and started seal the underbody. My seam sealer had passed its shelf life and was too thick to use. I’ll pick some up Monday and continue.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 pm

The seam sealer I ordered apparently got caught up in the holiday shipping and won’t be here until next week. I went to my “other” things-to-do list and decided to get the steering column parts and the inside window moldings cleaned, primed and ready for final paint.

The steering shaft covers and the gear shift column were media blasted, sanded and primed with grey epoxy primer.
PB251990.jpg
All the chrome trim and door pulls were carefully removed from the side window moldings. The belt weather strip was removed by clipping the staples that held it in place. The old strips were saved and will be used as patterns for the replacements. The replacements will be screwed in place rather than stapled. All of the window moldings, including the windshield and rear window, were media blasted both inside and out to remove old wood-grained paint and rust. They were sanded, prepped and primed.
PB251991.jpg
PB251992.jpg
PB251993.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com