1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:46 am

The seam sealer finally came in yesterday and I finished sealing the car’s underbody. I started masking off the places that are going to be undercoated to protect against getting undercoating where it doesn’t belong. The rest of the car will be covered with plastic sheeting to prevent overspray.
PC011995.jpg
Put masking tape along the edges first
PC011996.jpg
Covered the large holes with newspapers from the inside held in place with magnets
PC011997.jpg
Taped over all the trim holes
PC022001.jpg
Applied newspapers to the edge tape
PC022002.jpg
A roll of tape and a couple of editions of the local newspaper and it's ready to spray

I’m going to use Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating. I have 2 28oz cans of liquid undercoating that will be sprayed using an undercoating gun and 3 18oz aerosol cans that can be used for tight spots. I have 2 undercoating spray guns, one has an adjustable nozzle to adjust fluid flow as well as adjusting air pressure. The other uses just air pressure. Both guns attach directly to the can of undercoating. There is also a long plastic tube that can be attached to the adjustable gun for tight spaces.
PC022000.jpg
3M calls it undercoating guns "Schutz" guns

I’m planning on rolling the car out from under the temporary cover to spray it but it is windy with a chance of rain today so it will have to wait for better conditions.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 am

Got the body masked up, rolled out and jacked up ready to undercoat. I missed the estimate of how much spray-able undercoating it would take. Had two cans but could have used four. Was able to finish with the three aerosol cans I had. Covered OK, at least the under body is all one color. The adjustable spray gun works much better than the aerosol cans. It’s easier to control and leaves a better texture. I’m going to buy more spray-able to finish the inner fender panels and the inside of the front fenders. Now it’s on to the bodywork.
PC032007.jpg
Off the ground so it is easier to get under to spray
PC032003.jpg
Before
PC032004.jpg
After
PC032005.jpg
Done
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:24 am

Looking good Joe.

The 22nd series bodies are huge. It is always surprising just how much stuff is needed to coat one. Wait until you start painting the top!!

I envy you being able to work outdoors in December too! :D

Kind regards
Adam.. [
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:32 am

I’m starting on the final body work. The car was divided into 4 sections, the passenger side below the drip rails, the driver side below the drip rails, the roof and drip rails and finally the hood, front fenders and trunk. Most of the metal replacement has been done, the rust below the trunk, on the doors and the driver’s quarter panel. What’s left is mostly repairing rust pits, primarily along the sides behind the door, along the stainless trim line where water and road chemicals had gotten between the body and the trip. The drip rails are in bad shape and fixing them will probably be the most difficult task.
PC042008.jpg
One of the worst rust spots behind the stainless side trim

Fortunately, the body is almost totally free of dents. There is just a “side swipe” dent in the driver that will need to be hammered out and filled. The trunk is in good condition as are the front fenders and hood. The fenders and hood had been added from a Series 22 car, apparently the replace the badly rusted original fenders. The Series 22 grille trim around the parking lights was different from the Series 23 and there are two holes in each fender that will need to have a patch welded in to fill them. Also, I could not find an acceptable rooftop antenna replacement so that will also have to have a patch welded to fill the hole.

Got the first coats of filler on the passenger side. First, the areas to be filled ground down to remove the primer. Used thin coats of filler then block sanded it down, first by long-board machine then by hand with 40 grit dry paper. Once the entire side is done, it will be painted with a primer/surfacer then blocked sanded again by hand and re-filled if necessary.
PC042009.jpg
First coat of filler
PC072010.jpg
Filler blocked by machine and hand
If I get tired of sanding, I have some other projects with the car I can work on until the muscle pain subsides.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 am

When the sanding and filling and sanding and filling starts causing shoulders to get sore, I decided to take a break and start planning how to upholster the trunk. I want to upholster it to match the interior. Not something Packard had done but something they might have done. The upholstery will cover the spare tire, all the wiring, hardware and the internal body structure. The back panel will be easily removable to access the tire and tools and there will be a box behind it with a separately-wired 12 volt gel battery to power accessories like GPS and cell phones. The underside of the trunk lid will also receive some upholstery treatment. The attachment points for the upholstery panels will have to be added before final painting. This is just the first pass at patterning to see what is possible. It will take several more refinements before the final panels are built.
PB221984.jpg
PB221985.jpg
PB231987.jpg
PB231988.jpg
Trunk Upholstery.jpg
PB231986.jpg
Now back to sanding.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Back doing body work. Most of the rust pits had been filled. The most work was on the passenger door where a metal patch had been welded in. Some heat shrinkage required a bit of filler.
PC082011.jpg
It was difficult to get a dolly behind this area of the door to work on the shrinkage
The drip rails were covered with rust along with the area below. The root cause of the rust was moisture collecting in the seam where the roof is welded to the side of the body. The seam was cleaned then filled with 3M 2-part bare medal seam sealer to prevent re-occurrence of the rust from moisture in the seam.
PC092012.jpg
The pits below the drip rail were filled and sanded
PC142017.jpg
The area around the body seam was taped for sealer
PC142018.jpg
Used 3M sealer in an Automix gun to seal the seam
PC142019.jpg
The sealer was applied then smoothed with a plastic applicator
With all the dry block sanding done, the side was wet block sanded with 220 paper, cleaned and sprayed with epoxy primer. There is still a lot of work to be done on this side. Later on, it's going to be block sanded and filled again to remove as many imperfections as possible. For now, I’m going to start on the driver side.
PC142020.jpg
Wet sanded and cleaned
PC162021.jpg
Epoxy primed
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:38 am

I’m starting on the driver side. I don’t have enough time to do the whole side before taking some time off for the holidays. The driver door needs some hammer work to remove a slight crease and the drip rails need a lot of work so that will come later.

I worked the area from the door back and below the trim line. Removed most of the green primer, filled the surface rust and worked the area around the replaced quarter panel. Block sanded the filler and when it was reasonably smooth, it was wet-sanded with 220, cleaned, prepped and painted with epoxy primer. Once primed, it’s much easier to see the areas that need more work.
PC182022.jpg
Filler applied and sanded
PC202023.jpg
Area masked off
PC202024.jpg
Driver side was in much better condition
PC202026.jpg
Epoxy primer

I’m taking some time off for the holidays but will be back on the project soon. I’d like to wish all the members of the forum a Safe and Happy Holiday season and a Healthy New Year! :D

Joe
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:19 am

What a fantastic project!! I read the updates in desperate anticipation!! :-)
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 am

I’m working on the crease that is in the driver’s door before moving on to applying any filler. I had worked on this area a while back and some of the damage was fixed before the door was primed. The remaining high spot was marked to guide the hammer work.
Door_1.jpg
There are several ways to fix this, one would be to heat the spot with a torch and rapidly cool it to shrink the metal. This was beyond my skill level so I decided to try to work it out with a shrinking hammer.
Door_2.jpg
I couldn’t reach around to hold a dolly on the inside of the door without removing the door so I used a clamp and block of wood to but some slight outward pressure on the spot to be worked.
Door_3.jpg
Tapped lightly on the high spots with the hammer and checked to gauge the progress.
Door_4.jpg
Once it seemed to be flat, the surface was sanded with a DA sander. There is still one small high spot that will need some more work. I’ll take care of that with the rest of the work on the door.
Door_5.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 am

Finally got the rest of the driver’s side primed. Filled and sanded the rust pits in the area of the drip rail. The roof seam below the drip rail was masked off and the seam was filled with 2-part seam sealer. Once the sealer had cured, a light coat of filler was applied over the sealer.
P1022028.jpg
Filled the rust pits below, above and on the drip rail
P1032030.jpg
Masked the area around the roof seam to keep sealer only in the gap
P1062034.jpg
A light coat of filler applied over cured seam sealer. Smoothed with a plastic applicator.
The areas on the door and around the windows were filled and block sanded. They were wet sanded with 220, cleaned, prepped and primed with epoxy primer.
P1032032.jpg
Initial bodywork finished on driver's door
P1032033.jpg
You can tell this car didn't have AC, rust pits from an arm out the window wearing off the finish
P1072035.jpg
Masked and ready for primer
P1072037.jpg
Driver's side completely primed

I’m still trying to fill the fine remaining rust depressions particularly around the drip rails. I’ve filled and glazed them but there are still some minor imperfections. A friend of mine who is a body shop manager recommended that I try a product called Feather Fill. He uses it to fill small pin holes in filler and said it might work for me. The product is Evercoat Feather Fill G2 and is a 2-part activated polyester sprayable filler/sealer. I’m going to give it a try. His only caution was to try to wet sand it smooth before it fully cures because it becomes very hard to sand.

I still need to sand the roof, upper cowl and trunk area. There is quite a bit of rust pitting around the windshield and rear window openings that need to be repaired.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com