1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Dave Czirr

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 pm

You've really got your work cut out for you, but it's got to be done. The wiring on most all Packards of that vintage is pretty scary by now.

Incidently, I've been told by several folks that the A.E.A,. wiring diagrams on this website are generally superior to those found elsewhere, you might want to give it a try. Go back to the main website and pick "Wiring" from the menu bar on the left, then pick your year and model.

I've enjoyed following your progress - keep it coming, please.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 am

Dave,

I'm using the 5-page wiring diagrams that are posted on Packardinfo.com. They are very helpful, only found one deviation. Are these the ones you are referring to? If not, is there a link to others? Without the Forum and the information on Packardinfo, this whole project would be almost impossible.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 am

No, I'm referring to the wiring diagrams on this website, http://www.packardclub.org. It's just that I've been told by some that the A.E.A. diagrams are easier to use, not that others are more or less correct. Go to the top of this page, click on the yellow "Back to Main Site", then select "Wiring" from the menu bar.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 am

Got it! Thanks.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:09 am

Very impressive work, as always.

Please keep the photos coming !!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

vukelic

Post by vukelic » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:49 am

I agree with Adam ! I own a 1949 23rd Series Packard Eight, and have learned a lot from your postings. This is almost as good as a "Service Manual" on this vintage of Packards. It would be nice to see you put all of this together and publish it in one of the Packard periodicals, when you're finished. Thanks much !!

Steve Wukelich in Montana

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:58 am

Well, you know you're getting old when you can't follow the lines on a wiring diagram even with the help of reading glasses and a magnifing glass! Packard didn't help by making mutiple in-harness splices and by overlaying diagrams. I was able to take the letter size diagram that Dave Czirr had recommensed to Staples and had it blown up to 24" by 30". Also bought some fine point Sharpies to add some color. It's going to make a great wall hanging for my shop when I'm done.
Diagram.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 am

After getting the dash out, I started by re-wiring all the individual lights and switches. All of the original wire on them was unuseable. The original wire stripped back to the component then a connector was crimped to the new wire and covered with heat-shrink. To make the dash easier to install (or to later remove), all the wires going to the dash that are attached to the body will be connected with OEM style disconnects. That way the dash can be wired, installed and connected. The second picture of the dome light is an example of a two-wire connector.
Wire_1.jpg
Wire_7.jpg

The original Packard wiring used numerous in-harness splices. An example is the 8 instrument lights. There were 8 wires running into a single splice. When I re-wired the instrument panel, I looped the 8 lights together so that only one wire feeds all 8. I upped the gauge of the wire from 16/18 to 14 to make sure there was no current carrying issues with the single wire.
Wire_2.jpg
Wire_4.jpg

All the dash wires were removed. One by one the wires from the main firewall harness and the rear chassis harnesses were cut back to good wire, stripped and crimp connected with new wire and covered with heat-shrink. The wires are all tagged with their "from" and "to" points. Rather than splicing wires together, I'm going to use a couple of terminal blocks to group the wires. One is visible in the last picture just below the windshield. It is used to terminate the main power wires from the regulator and starter. The other will be at the bottom of the dash to distribute power from circuit breaker. One interesting point is that the wiring from the turn signal switch in the steering column has plastic covered wire and is in excellent condition. I guess that is when they started going to a form of plastic insulated wire. Here's a picture of what came out and what is going to replace it.
Wire_5.jpg
Wire_6.jpg
I have another complete steel dash I purchased on ebay. It just came back from the media blaster and needs to be primed. Once it's painted, I'll install it and mock-up all the components for the final wiring connections. Then it will all come apart and the dash will be woodgrained and re-installed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 am

We finally got a dry day and I was able to spray the replacement dash. It's been sitting for several days after coming back from the media blaster while I waited out the rain. It was sanded and primed with a self-etching primer. I'm going to place all the electrical components in the dash and install it in the car. Once all the wires have been connected, it will be removed and finished. All of the pitted chrome that was in the original dash will be replaced with pieces at are in good to very good condition. Here's a picture of the dash that was removed and the replacement.
New Dash.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 am

Since I haven't posted anything lately, someone asked if I had given up on my Packard project. The answer is no. I'm taking a vacation and I'm in Kansas City now and headed to Utah. Can't wait to get back to Florida and wrap up the interior wiring and interior upholstery. I'm keeping in touch by checking the Forum everyday.

Joe
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com