1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 am

I'm working on the glass in the front doors. The doors were gutted so they needed to have all new weather strip and window channels. I'll describe it with the pictures.
Front Door Windows_01.jpg
The vent windows were rebuilt sometime back. The chrome was bad and at that time I decided to paint the frames rather than have them re-chromed. The seal for the vent window was replaced with Steele Rubber Front Window Kit #90-0328-90. The kit includes the seal for the glass against the post. This assembly also may need the Ridged Glass Run Channel #30-0023-57. Mine was OK and not replaced.
Front Door Windows_02.jpg
The vent window assembly is held in place in three places. These are the 3 tabs the attach to the door frame with #8 sheetmetal screws.
Front Door Windows_03.jpg
This is the bottom of the assembly that attaches to the inner panel of the door with #12-24 X 1/2" machine screws. Don't lose them, they are hard to replace.
Front Door Windows_04.jpg
This is the mounting point on the on the inner panel next to the vent window handle. Also #8 sheetmetam screws.
Front Door Windows_05.jpg
This is the mounting point inside the door for the bottom of the assembly.
Front Door Windows_06.jpg
These are the 2 supports for the window channel at rear of the door, one for each side.
Front Door Windows_07.jpg
There is a tab at the top that slips into a slot just below the window opening at the back of the door.
Ran out of photo space so it is continued on the next post.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 am

Continued from prior post. Front door glass and weather strip installation.
Front Door Windows_08.jpg
This is the other end of the channel support at the rear of the door. The oblong hole is used to attach the support to the bracket on the inner door panel. The small hole is used to attach the glass channel to the support. Probably was originally riveted, I used a flathead screw.
Front Door Windows_09.jpg
The vent window assembly was installed temporarily to test the fit and measure the new window channel.
Front Door Windows_10.jpg
Top attachment point.
Front Door Windows_11.jpg
The inside at the rear of the door showing the attachment to the mounting bracket.
Front Door Windows_12.jpg
Used the window glass to shape the new glass channel and cut to size.
Front Door Windows_13.jpg
Clamped the channel in place to test the fit.
Front Door Windows_14.jpg
The glass channel has to be riveted to the tab on the top of the vent window frame. This can only be done with the assembly out of the door. The channel was fitted, marked, drilled than riveted. Then the assembly with the channel attached had to be carefully installed back into the door. The assembly was securely re-installed with the channel hanging loose. Permatex Ultra Black sealer was applied between the channel and the door and than clamped in place. The flathead screw attached the bottom end of the channel to the support at the rear of the door.

Once the sealer cures, the regulator and glass will be installed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:57 am

I'm installing the passenger side window regulator. I'll caption the pictures for the explanation.
Front Door Windows_16.jpg
Before installing the regulator, the beltline weather strip was installed to outside of the window slot.
Front Door Windows_17.jpg
All the parts to the window regulator.
Front Door Windows_18.jpg
The hairpin clips and washers that attach the regulator to the glass frame.
Front Door Windows_19.jpg
The stop that bolts to the inner door panel to adjust the low point of the window glass. A piece of heater hose was added to replace original rubber.
Front Door Windows_20.jpg
The upper portion of the regulator. #1 is the stud that slides in the channel on the inner panel of the door. #2 is the pivot bolt that secures the regulator to the door panel. It is a shoulder bolt that allows the regulator arm to move as the window is rolled up and down.
Front Door Windows_21.jpg
The inside of the door showing the channel that the stud (#1) slides into.
Front Door Windows_23.jpg
From the outside of the door, this shows where the channel is riveted to the door panel.
Continued on next post.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 am

Window regulator continued:
Front Door Windows_22.jpg
The slot where the shoulder bolt (#2) attaches the regulator to the door panel.
Front Door Windows_24.jpg
Adjustable slots for the window glass stop. Must be removed to add the glass.
Front Door Windows_25.jpg
The regulator installed. Hard to take step-by-step pictures solo. The division post of the vent window frame was installed, so I had to take the regulator apart where the front half slips into the slot. The regulator arm was installed between the division bar and the door panel, then the winding mechanism was attached to the door panel with the 4 machine screws. The regulator parts were put back together by sliding the pin into the large hole at the end of the slot. The stud on the regulator arm (#1) is slipped into the channel on the inner door panel. It is positioned to install by winding the window crank. It's spring-loaded and takes some jiggling to get it in the channel. Once the stud is positioned in the center of the channel, reach through the door panel and move the regulator arm with the pivot bolt hole to line up with the slotted hole in the door panel. You are pushing against the regulator spring to line up the holes. The shoulder bolt has flats on 2 sides that must be aligned with the slotted hole or the bolt won't go through to hole. Once it's in, add the washers and nut and tighten the bolt near the middle of the slotted hole. If it is too close to the top of the hole and you wind the window down, the stud will slip out of the channel and you have to start over. Took me a couple of times to figure that out! The regulator was wound up and down several times to make sure it was working properly.
I'm calling it a day and will add the glass tomorrow.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 am

Completing the front glass installation

Start with how to get the glass out. Remove the door handle, window crank and garnish molding trim then the door panel. That gives access to the glass stop near the rear of the door (location pictured in prior post). Remove the machine screw holding the stop. Roll the window down to give access to the regulator attachment to the glass frame.
Front Door Windows_26.jpg
This is the position to remove and re-install the retaining clips that hold the glass.
Reach through the opening in the door panel and remove the 2 retaining clips and washers from the regulator studs. Pry the metal glass frame from the regulator studs and allow the glass to drop to the bottom of the door. For the 2-door Club Sedan, tilt the glass on its side and remove through the top of the door opening. On the 4-door models the glass is shorter and can be removed through the opening in the lower inner door panel. This graphic from Body Manual shows the glass being removed this way.
Win Doc_2.jpg
The Body Manual has some information on glass replacement.
To re-install new glass:

With the glass stop still removed, roll the regulator down to give access to the 2 studs that attach to the glass frame. Place the glass inside the door the way it came out, 2-door from the top and 4-door through the opening. Rest the glass upright on the bottom of the door. Lift the glass and insert it into the front and rear channels. As you slid the glass up in the channels, the frame of the glass will probably hit the studs on the regulator. This is especially the case with new channel weather strip holding the glass firmly in place. Regulator and glass may need to be spread so the studs will fall into the slots in the glass as the glass is pushed up. This would probably be easier with 2 people, one holding the glass and one prying while the glass is pushed up. Took me a couple of tries doing it by myself. Once the studs are in the slots, install the washers and retaining clips. The studs are spring-loaded so the need to be pressed against glass frame to install the washer and clip. Make sure the moving parts are lubricated and roll the window up to test the fit at the top of the door. Roll the glass down so it is approximately just below edge of the door and still resting against the beltline weather strip. Install the glass stop so the glass goes no further down. Re-install the door panel, etc. and it's all done.
Front Door Windows_26.jpg
This is the position to remove and re-install the retaining clips that hold the glass.
Front Door Windows_28.jpg
Rolled the glass down to position the glass stop to keep the glass against the weather strip to prevent rattling.
Front Door Windows_27.jpg
The glass stop installed and tightened.
Front Door Windows_29.jpg
Glass installed, fits tight in the new weather strip.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:51 am

Got the driver's side door glass installed. Gets easier the second time you do it.
Front Door Windows_30.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:08 am

I went ahead and finished assembling the accent pieces to the door moldings. Won't need them for a while but all the parts were with the window hardware. The are not wood-grained, but painted a color called metallic root beer. Original finish was gone and wood-graining was not in the time or money budget.
Molding_1.jpg
What ever was on the pull strap was gone just a metal strap. Found a piece of plastic tubing that slipped over the metal for a durable replacement.
Molding_2.jpg
If you ever have to change the lock mechanism in the front doors, you're in for a difficult task that is not explained in the body manual. I had mistakenly installed the door lock and outside handle thinking the door handle link rod could be installed afterwards. This is common on most older cars (Ford and Chevy) but not Packard. The connection to the lock is inside the door and can not be attached with the lock in place. The body manual shows how it has to be connected with the lock removed.
Door Lock_3.jpg
It is much harder than the instructions in the Body Manual!
I had to remove the lock, the door handle, the window stop and remove the screw holding the glass track in place. The Body Manual on pages 16 and 17 makes it sound simple. What they don't say is that there is a bracket welded to the inner door panel and door lock mechanism wraps around the bracket and the glass channel. It takes some work to push the glass channel out of the way while trying to move the lock between the bracket and the channel.
Door Lock_4.jpg
This is what is in the way of removing and installing the lock.
It was slightly easier to get the lock out because the "remote" inside door handle link was not attached. With the lock removed, the door handle link was slipped through the hole in the door panel down to the bottom of the door to attach it to the lock mechanism. The picture below shows that there is an oblong stud with a spring washer on the lock and the door handle link has a long slotted hole. You need to line up the flats on the stud and press the the link over it and twist to retain.
Door Lock_1.jpg
The slot slips over the stud.
With the lock and the "remote" door handle link in the bottom of the door you attach the rod to the lock. Easier said than done with it facing away from you! Then you have to negotiate the lock and the remote up and around the bracket and window channel and then bolt everything back in place. Packard could have come up with an easier way to do this but back then cars were only supposed to last a few years so they probably didn't think someone would have to do this 70 years later!
Door Lock_2.jpg
Hooking the inside door handle link to the lock.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:42 am

I'm starting to gain some momentum to get the car done. I'm shooting for the mid-November annual Packard Club meeting in Sarasota, may be a stretch.

Got the rear fender skirts fitted. Changed the rear retaining bolt to a stud with a nut, makes the removal and installation of the skirts a bit easier. Also finished the final installation the trunk upholstery. Too much rust repair and body infrastructure showing to leave as original.
Trunk_Finished.jpg
I'm real fond of bumper jacks, particularly with heavy cars. They just seem to be able to mess up really nice bumpers. Using a different style jack is a real problem with the rear tires of the Series 22/23 Packard. The small wheel opening and the stub of the rear axle protruding from the hub means that the rear tire cannot be removed by jacking up the rear axle. The car has to be lifted by the body to provide the necessary clearance to remove the tire. Probably could be done with a floor jack on the chassis in front of the back wheel but hard to carry a floor jack in the trunk. Trying to use a smaller bottle jack in front of the wheel is risky because you're trying to lift the entire side of the car. The better way to lift the car is with a small base jack is at the chassis right in front of the rear bumper braces. I built an adapter that attaches to the top of a 6 ton bottle jack that allows the body to be jacked up far enough to remove and install the rear wheels without marring the bumper. The bottle jack alone works for the front wheels. Both fit snugly the the plastic boxes that fit behind the spare tire and hold the other road tools.
Jack_1.jpg
Jack_2.jpg
I got the helper crew back together for tomorrow, Sunday, to try to install the rear window glass one more time!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:43 am

Nice solution !!

The car is looking great.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 am

I'm starting to check tasks off my list. Adjusted the brakes, bleed the brakes, installed the wire wheels and dropped the car back on the ground fro the first time in a long time. Starting to look more like a car! Still can not get the rear glass installed. We tried again yesterday with not luck, the gasket keeps slipping off the trim on the window opening. As a group we have installed many windshields and rear windows but this one has stumped us. Most vintage cars we have done, the lip on the gasket slips directly over the pinch weld at the window opening then trim, if any, is added over the glass. On the Series 22/23 Packard, the stainless trim goes over the pinch weld then the gasket goes over the trim. I'm starting to think that the profile of the lip on the gasket is not deep enough or wide enough to go over the trim. The gasket is shaped more like a Ford or GM gasket that slips directly over a pinch weld. I'm going to call Steele to discuss.
Wire Wheel_2.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com